Thread: I suddenly have to unlock keyring after each boot

Beans

I suddenly have to unlock keyring after each boot

My Ubuntu 12.04 install suddenly started to display following message: "the login keyring did not get unlocked when you logged into your computer" after each time I boot my computer. It did not do this before today (or yesterday? Can't remember but it is definitely a recent change) and I have not changed any account configurations or passwords, I never had automatic login enabled where you would expect such behavior.

Do you have any idea what caused it and how I can fix it? Is it possibly a bug I should report?

Thanks for your replies in advance

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: I suddenly have to unlock keyring after each boot

Did you change your login password?

Did you change the keyring password to match?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cprofitt View Post

I can get this behavior by logging out of an Xfce 4.10 session to a Unity session and then back to an Xfce 4.10 session all with the password unchanged.

Beans

To fix it, I have to open "Passwords and Keys", right-click on "login" and select "change password". I then enter my regular password, which is the one with which I log in and use for sudo, and then in the lower box I just hit enter without entering anything. I get a warning that it's unsafe and I choose to proceed anyway. I'm no longer bothered with the keyring pop-up until I choose another session, say Unity, and then revert to Xfce.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cprofitt View Post

1. No

2. No, no changes whatsoever, the problem came out of nowhere it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    To fix it, I have to open "Passwords and Keys", right-click on "login" and select "change password". I then enter my regular password, which is the one with which I log in and use for sudo, and then in the lower box I just hit enter without entering anything. I get a warning that it's unsafe and I choose to proceed anyway. I'm no longer bothered with the keyring pop-up until I choose another session, say Unity, and then revert to Xfce.
    So essentially you just removed the keyring password? I don't really want all my passwords to be unencrypted even though that should solve the problem.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xedi View Post
    So essentially you just removed the keyring password? I don't really want all my passwords to be unencrypted even though that should solve the problem.
    Yes. The warning makes the risk clear.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Smile Re: I suddenly have to unlock keyring after each boot

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I did the same but instead of leaving the new password empty I wrote my regular password again.
    I had chenged my user password so the keyring password was still my older one.
    This fixed the problem and If I'm not wrong also kept the keyring protected with a password.

I read some couldn't find "Passwords and Keys" in settings, it's not there it's in the "Applications" menu.

Regards