Results 1 to 7 of 7

Thread: I suddenly have to unlock keyring after each boot

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Beans
    93

    I suddenly have to unlock keyring after each boot

    My Ubuntu 12.04 install suddenly started to display following message: "the login keyring did not get unlocked when you logged into your computer" after each time I boot my computer. It did not do this before today (or yesterday? Can't remember but it is definitely a recent change) and I have not changed any account configurations or passwords, I never had automatic login enabled where you would expect such behavior.

    Do you have any idea what caused it and how I can fix it? Is it possibly a bug I should report?

    Thanks for your replies in advance

  2. #2
    cprofitt's Avatar
    cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    平静
    Beans
    1,444
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

    Re: I suddenly have to unlock keyring after each boot

    Did you change your login password?

    Did you change the keyring password to match?

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bombay
    Beans
    5,166
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: I suddenly have to unlock keyring after each boot

    Quote Originally Posted by cprofitt View Post
    Did you change your login password?

    Did you change the keyring password to match?
    I can get this behavior by logging out of an Xfce 4.10 session to a Unity session and then back to an Xfce 4.10 session all with the password unchanged.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bombay
    Beans
    5,166
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: I suddenly have to unlock keyring after each boot

    To fix it, I have to open "Passwords and Keys", right-click on "login" and select "change password". I then enter my regular password, which is the one with which I log in and use for sudo, and then in the lower box I just hit enter without entering anything. I get a warning that it's unsafe and I choose to proceed anyway. I'm no longer bothered with the keyring pop-up until I choose another session, say Unity, and then revert to Xfce.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Beans
    93

    Re: I suddenly have to unlock keyring after each boot

    Quote Originally Posted by cprofitt View Post
    Did you change your login password?

    Did you change the keyring password to match?
    1. No

    2. No, no changes whatsoever, the problem came out of nowhere it seems.

    Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    To fix it, I have to open "Passwords and Keys", right-click on "login" and select "change password". I then enter my regular password, which is the one with which I log in and use for sudo, and then in the lower box I just hit enter without entering anything. I get a warning that it's unsafe and I choose to proceed anyway. I'm no longer bothered with the keyring pop-up until I choose another session, say Unity, and then revert to Xfce.
    So essentially you just removed the keyring password? I don't really want all my passwords to be unencrypted even though that should solve the problem.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Bombay
    Beans
    5,166
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: I suddenly have to unlock keyring after each boot

    Quote Originally Posted by xedi View Post
    ...
    So essentially you just removed the keyring password? I don't really want all my passwords to be unencrypted even though that should solve the problem.
    Yes. The warning makes the risk clear.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Buenos Aires - Argentina
    Beans
    23
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

    Smile Re: I suddenly have to unlock keyring after each boot

    Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    To fix it, I have to open "Passwords and Keys", right-click on "login" and select "change password". I then enter my regular password, which is the one with which I log in and use for sudo, and then in the lower box I just hit enter without entering anything. I get a warning that it's unsafe and I choose to proceed anyway. I'm no longer bothered with the keyring pop-up until I choose another session, say Unity, and then revert to Xfce.
    I did the same but instead of leaving the new password empty I wrote my regular password again.
    I had chenged my user password so the keyring password was still my older one.
    This fixed the problem and If I'm not wrong also kept the keyring protected with a password.

    I read some couldn't find "Passwords and Keys" in settings, it's not there it's in the "Applications" menu.

    Regards

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •