Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Gnome Devs are lost? removing features now

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: Gnome Devs are lost? removing features now

If I understand things correctly, I don't think they actually removed anything. When everything switched to Gnome 3, it broke a lot, and they had to start developing things from the ground up. So they didn't actually remove anything; they're just in the process of adding things back.

If you'll remember when KDE4 first came out, it took them quite a while to get all the functionality back into it. It's the same with Gnome 3. After a while, you'll start to see some of the old options coming back, and probably some new ones, too. I actually think the launch of Gnome 3 was a lot better than the launch of KDE 4. The extension system helped that a lot.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

The extension system is the only reason I use Gnome-shell, but it does have its flaws. The lack of centralization means the Gnome devs don't control what's available, but it also leads to a lot of redundancy. There's a separate extension (sometimes more than one) to move or remove each little thing, like turning off the accessibility icon or moving the clock to the right.

It would make much more sense to have a single extension to allow the moving and toggling of at least the default interface elements. It would be nice to be able to do the same for other extensions that add elements to the interface, such as the weather one. Basically I want something that approximates (or maybe improves upon) the way the old Gnome-panel was configured. I'm not sure it would be technically possible without deeper changes to the Shell, but I've seen extensions that come with their own configuration dialogs, and even something rudimentary could simplify things greatly.

rai4shu2 is offline Extra Foam Sugar Free Ubuntu
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    I actually think the launch of Gnome 3 was a lot better than the launch of KDE 4. The extension system helped that a lot.
    Gnome 3 was aided by the fact that GTK didn't change much between 2 and 3. The thing they take a lot of abuse over is Gnome Shell. GS is easily replaced, so no big deal. KDE, on the other hand, only recently has seen an alternative like Razor.

Speaking of KDE, I understand a lot of the microbugs/quirks are finally being noticed/addressed/maybe even fixed. I might actually have another look at that (once they're ready to start working on KDE 5.0).

Beans

Well, all I can say is I moved to KDE (Kubuntu 12.04) the other day and it is really rocking my world right now. Amazing to see how far it's come on, and I don't know why it seems to exist ina bubble as far as Linux usage goes. It's always Gnome this and that, yet KDE seems to stock everything you could ever need, all wrapped up in a gorgeous Plasma bubble.

I love it!
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

i used to use gnome a lot but gnome 3 has killed it for me. I gave unity a shot that was a disaster for me. I switched to Kubuntu/ KDE in 2011, and havent looked back since. I know Kubuntu is not the best KDE distro out there, but i am comfortable with the ubuntu/Debian environment.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by forrestcupp View Post
    If I understand things correctly, I don't think they actually removed anything. When everything switched to Gnome 3, it broke a lot, and they had to start developing things from the ground up. So they didn't actually remove anything; they're just in the process of adding things back.
    I think that's probably the right insight. Either that or all these changes makes it fit better on a Tablet. I also think that this is the difference between Gnome and product development in the real world. If they are still in the process of development then don't ship it. If they choose to call it "stable" and ship it anyway then don't use it in a distro.

neu5eeCh is offline Grande Half-n-Half Cinnamon Ubuntu
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by CarpKing View Post
    The extension system is the only reason I use Gnome-shell, but it does have its flaws.
    My impression (according to various articles I've read - and comments by Torvalds) is that the Gnome Devs haven't exactly "endorsed" the extension system. Whenever there's a "step-wise" Gnome update, many, if not most, of the extensions break and unadorned Gnome becomes its original, unusable self. There doesn't seem to be any coordination or interest in coordination.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Although I like GNOME and prefer it over KDE, I can see a day approaching soon where I'll abandon it in favor of a fork of GNOME that maintains the attitude of continuous improvement and enriching the feature set instead of mindless simplification. It's with good reason that Linus Torvalds declared GNOME a mess. He was quoted at ZDNet in August 2011 that he would like to see a GNOME fork.
    IBM ThinkCentre 3.2GHz Intel Pentium 4 µP, 1.5GB RAM, 1TB Seagate SATA drive.
    I support Idea #23505.
    "A single sunbeam is enough to drive away many shadows." — St. Francis of Assisi

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Tombradyhasamachinehead View Post
    ...I know Kubuntu is not the best KDE distro out there, but i am comfortable with the ubuntu/Debian environment.
    I'm never really sure quite why people feel like this. I used both openSUSE 12.1 KDE and Kubuntu 11.10 a while ago, and very much preferred Kubuntu. I can't quite put my finger on it, but I think the Muon/Debian package management and a slightly glossier look and feel are why I prefer Kubuntu. But I digress...
    Intel Core i3-8100, 16GB Corsair DDR4 2400 RAM, 240GB Crucial SSD+1TB HDD, Nvidia GTX 1050 Ti

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by VTPoet View Post
    My impression (according to various articles I've read - and comments by Torvalds) is that the Gnome Devs haven't exactly "endorsed" the extension system. Whenever there's a "step-wise" Gnome update, many, if not most, of the extensions break and unadorned Gnome becomes its original, unusable self. There doesn't seem to be any coordination or interest in coordination.
    Usually, all it takes is adding the new Gnome version number in a text file, and it works again.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast