Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to disable hardware acceleration by default

Beans

How to disable hardware acceleration by default

Using 64 bit 12.04, when I enter YouTube many clips have their colors reversed UNTIL I switch to full screen and disable hardware aceleration. That only holds for the current session. The next time that I boot up, I have to go through the same routine.
    Isn't there a way to disable hardware acceleration by default so that the setting becomes permanent?

Thanks

Beans

Smile Re: How to disable hardware acceleration by default

There must be a doppelganger at work in my house.
    Although no one has responded to my post about needing to disable Hardware Acceleration each time in order to view YouTube videos without reversed colors -- as of today it is working correctly without any input on my part!

Confess, Nvidia or Ubuntu. Which one of you solved the problem from afar by remote control?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Post Re: How to disable hardware acceleration by default

Try this:
    https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/fir...don/flash-aid/

PS. I test fiew "How to improve falsh"

but this above is simple and works on 64 bits system.

You can chose between repo and adobe source as well a stable and beta version

Happy testing.

Beans

Re: How to disable hardware acceleration by default

The mystery deepens further. After one day of the reversed colours on YouTube curing itself, the problem returned today - with a vengance.

I had to pull up two clips, switch to full screen, and disable hardware acceleration in each, exit YouTube and enter it again before the reversed colours would go away. I am absolutely baffled.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

I wonder if anyone has figured out why it is "only" YouTube videos that smurf people with reversed red/blue, when even ads on YouTube are fine, as are all other flash videos I have ever viewed anywhere. What does YouTube do differently for their videos than anybody else?
    i5 650 3.2 GHz, 8 GB, nvidia GTX 550 Ti 32" 1080p | i7-4700, 8 GB, Intel HD 4600/nvidia GTX 765M 15.6" 1080p | etc.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

YouTube uses a technology called "stage video" in Flash which is the source of the problem. Most sites don't use this feature, but YT does.

That said, I don't have the problem Oldhacker does at all. I turned off hardware acceleration once, and it has stayed off ever since. I'm on Kubuntu 12.04 with Firefox 13.0.1 and Flash 11.2 r202. Both of those are the current versions from the repositories, though for Flash I have the Ubuntu "partner" repository enabled and got the Flash plugin from there with "sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin".

Beans

Seiji-sensei,

We are using the same versions of Flash and of Firefox. The only difference that I can see besides your using Kubuntu 12.04 (which should be functionally the same as Ubuntu 12.04 except for the desktop interface) is your Ubuntu "partner" repository enabled. Where do I find this repository?

Arigato

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

If you're using a graphical package manager, edit the "Software Sources" and in the "Other Software" tab check the box for "Canonical Partners." You don't need the source repository.

If you'd rather just do this manually, edit (as root with sudo) the file /etc/apt/sources.list and remove the hash mark ("#") from the front of the line that reads:

Code:
    deb http://archive.canonical.com/ubuntu precise partner
    Now run:

Code:
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install adobe-flashplugin
    I believe it will remove any extraneous packages like "flashplugin-installer" in the process of installing the adobe-flashplugin package from the partner repository.

Another alternative is to create (as root) the file /etc/adobe/mms.cfg and put these two lines in it:

Code:
    EnableLinuxHWVideoDecode=1
    OverrideGPUValidation=true
    There's also a patch for libvdpau1 that you can try if you're adventurous and don't mind rebuilding .debs from source. Read this bug report at Launchpad for details.
    Last edited by SeijiSensei; July 11th, 2012 at 07:31 PM.

Beans

I tried your last instructions and it worked for all of YESTERDAY. ;-( When I turned on the computer today, the reversed colours were back again!

I truly appreciate your help, but this behaviour of YouTube defies description. What you say about YouTube employing a different technology than other streaming video sites has to be at the root of the condition. At least I know how to make it appear normal for one day at a time.

Beans

Re: How to disable hardware acceleration by default - SOLVED

I found the culprit that had been eluding me.
    Before turning the computer off, I had gotten into the habit of clearing data to free up cache memory, etc. for the next boot-up. However, "Offline Website Data" was checked and that apparently was where the instruction to "Enable Hardware Acceleration" was kept. I tried turning on and off the computer with and without the "Offline Website Data" and without it checked my settings were retained.

Thanks again

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast