Thread: Ubuntu 12.04 does not suspend with proprietary driver for Radeon 6800

Hybrid View

Beans

Ubuntu 12.04 does not suspend with proprietary driver for Radeon 6800

I'm running Ubuntu 12.04 x86_64 (though these issues have existed in previous releases too) and have a Radeon 6800 graphics card. I've run into issues with the open-source driver (the system would randomly hang when shutting down) so I switched to the proprietary driver (I compiled it myself using these instructions: http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubu...TI.27s_site.29), but I am having new problems now.

The main issue is that when I go into sleep mode, about 50-75% of the time, the screen goes black but the monitor does not actually shut off, and I can hear that the fans/hard drive are not suspending either. I can't get the computer to wake up (Ctrl+Alt+F1,2,3,etc. does not work), and I always end up force shutting down with the power button.

I'd really appreciate help! Here is some information that might be helpful:

Code:
    $ fglrxinfo
    display: :0  screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series  
    OpenGL version string: 4.2.11631 Compatibility Profile Context

$ dmesg | grep fglrx
    [...]
    [    6.718606] [fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 8.96.4 [Apr  5 2012] with 1 minors$ fglrxinfo

$ dmesg | grep fglrx
    [...]
    [    6.718606] [fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 8.96.4 [Apr  5 2012] with 1 minors
    [...]$ fglrxinfo

$ dmesg | grep fglrx
    [...]
    [    6.718606] [fglrx] module loaded - fglrx 8.96.4 [Apr  5 2012] with 1 minors
    [...]
    [...]

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 12.04 does not suspend with proprietary driver for Radeon 6800

It appears that this works properly with Catalyst 12.6 (released yesterday)!It appears that this works properly with Catalyst 12.6 (released yesterday)!

Beans

did you recompile the 12.6, or did you install from the "extra drivers"? I'm experiencing exactly the same problem for exactly the same reason! Cheers!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Quiane View Post
    did you recompile the 12.6, or did you install from the "extra drivers"? I'm experiencing exactly the same problem for exactly the same reason! Cheers!
    I actually ran into some other problems with 12.6 (related to scaling on my display), but it did, in fact, fix this issue. I had to compile it myself (at the time, I don't think it was available from the repos). I also read that was ideal even when the current version of Catalyst is available in the repos.

Good luck!