Thread: How do I downgrade Unity to 5.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How do I downgrade Unity to 5.10?

Due to bug https://bugs.launchpad.net/compiz-core/+bug/996604 I need to downgrade Unity to 5.10.

I've tried doing it via terminal (sudo apt-get install unity=5.10.0-*) but I get dependencies issues.

Is there any other way? How do I solve those dependency issues? Is it possible to do it in Synaptic? (That would be my preferred way.)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Re: How do I downgrade Unity to 5.10?

It's possible to resolve dependency problems with the synaptic GUI under Edit.Unity 5.10 is not even listed in synaptic and I suspect it is due to the problem you are currently facing.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

As a matter of fact, after some research I was able to ask Synaptic to "force" an older version. I was offered 5.10 and Synaptic took care of the dependencies.

Unfortunately, I had tweaked the desktop before doing this and maybe some of the tweaks where incompatible with 5.10. As a result, my system is borked now.

I'm on my quest to reset the destop to its default values using some recovery boot. Any suggestion?

UPDATE: Actually what happened is that forcing the 5.10 version under Synaptic simply uninstalled unity completely (WTF?). That's why I wasn't getting anything on my desktop. I reinstalled Unity, but it's 5.12 again. Now I'm back to square one. Frustrating.
    Last edited by AleveSicofante; June 29th, 2012 at 02:07 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

The dependency problem probably couldn't be resolved.In that case a package that needs to be installed can't because of the presents of another package . It's catch 22 which usually ends in removal of the package. There is new information in the bug report you posted, see post 22.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks Frogs Hair. I'll try the proposed patch.