Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: No Nexus 7 for me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: No Nexus 7 for me

^ my heart sank a litte after reading that it might have only 5 or so gbs of free space.
    Intel i5 Ivy Bridge 2.8Ghz (3.4Ghz Turbo), 64bit user, AMD GPU 7700 series

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by tjeremiah View Post
    ^ my heart sank a litte after reading that it might have only 5 or so gbs of free space.
    'tis why I canceled my 8 GB order... and got the 16 GB instead.

Re: Music; I have ~20 GB of music so neither tablet can store it for me. However, I have it all uploaded on Google Music, so should I really want to listen to music on my tablet I guess I can, though the phone is better for that.

I'm anticipating more storage used for apps here, considering I already have several GBs of app content on my phone's SD card.
    Last edited by jpeddicord; June 30th, 2012 at 12:17 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I still think that there needs a be a linux/ubuntu powered tablet.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by Nanur View Post
    I still think that there needs a be a linux/ubuntu powered tablet.
    This is a Linux powered tablet. You might see a specifically Ubuntu one at some point in the future, although not likely from a big name.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Android uses a Linux kernel.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by lindsay7 View Post
    I almost bought one today but I looked at the find print and there is no sd card slot, so you can not add memory. I am out on this product. I think it is dumb that they decided not to offer a sd card slot. My Android phone has 8 gigs on-board and I have a 32 gig sd card installed. All the memory is almost filled, so I can not imagine how the Nexus 7 would work for me with even the 16 gig version. I have a lot of book, some music, and some pictures and a lot of apps installed but not overly loaded with junk, just what I need to get by. I am going to wait and see what comes out from Amazon and Asus in the next few weeks. I am sorry to see the Google Nexus 7 come out with this package.
    store everything online. thats how everything is moving anyway. the more you think about it, the more it becomes apparent that storing things on your own hard drive doesnt make sense. theres no reason what so ever to have all of your music on a local hard drive when things like google music exist for free.
    KDE is the best

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by WinterMadness View Post
    store everything online. thats how everything is moving anyway. the more you think about it, the more it becomes apparent that storing things on your own hard drive doesnt make sense. theres no reason what so ever to have all of your music on a local hard drive when things like google music exist for free.
    Well... Google Music isn't a good answer. Using that, you're locked into their player and their service, combined with their rather poor (at least on Linux) music uploader.

Case in point: on Android, I use PowerAmp as my player of choice since it supports Replay Gain and gapless playback, but if I were to use Google Music I could no longer do that. I *do* actually upload all of my music to Google Music, but as a day-to-day service it's rather lacking.
    Last edited by jpeddicord; July 1st, 2012 at 08:10 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

I agree when it comes to music but personal files like pictures, detailed documents, wont be entering any cloud.
    Intel i5 Ivy Bridge 2.8Ghz (3.4Ghz Turbo), 64bit user, AMD GPU 7700 series

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I have another thread out here where we talked about the Nexus 7 plus other Google issus.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2011567&page=6
    My wife and myself each have a Nook and I just got her a Chromebook. I really don't have a problem with storage,because I don't keep that much on any of these devices. Keep all my files in the cloud.
    Just about all of Google apps run off the cloud so you don't need storage for them. I subscribe to some magazines which I keep on Ubuntu One. It only takes a few seconds to download them and after I read them I just remove them. All my books and apps are in my Barns and Noble account online also.
    Everything run on the Internet when it come to the Chromebook and I thing Google is doing the same for the Nexus 7. I don't need one at the moment, but even without a SD card slot, it is a good buy for the price. I think I would rather have one then my Nook.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Actually, even if you use the Nexus 7 the way Google intended (based on the keynote at Google I/O), storage is essential, because you're allowed to store cloud-based stuff (movies, music) offline to play back in situations you don't necessarily have a good internet connection for streaming (many airplanes, for example). If I were to get a Nexus 7, I'd probably opt for the 16 GB option.

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast