Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Thread: No Nexus 7 for me

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: No Nexus 7 for me

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    Now that the new Kindle Fire is out we can compare it to the Nexus 7.
    Amazon New Kindle Fire vs Google Nexus 7
    That review is horrible.

It compares the old kindle at $169 to the Nexus 7 at $199, rather than compare the new Kindle at $199 to the Nexus 7 at $199.

It uses the dimensions and specs of the old Kindle at the slashed price, despite a newer model being on the market at the price of the Nexus 7. Pretty shameful to be honest.
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Warpnow View Post
    That review is horrible.

It compares the old kindle at $169 to the Nexus 7 at $199, rather than compare the new Kindle at $199 to the Nexus 7 at $199.

It uses the dimensions and specs of the old Kindle at the slashed price, despite a newer model being on the market at the price of the Nexus 7. Pretty shameful to be honest.
    http://blogs.computerworld.com/table...kindle-fire-hd
    EDIT: Also this one: http://mashable.com/2012/09/06/kindle-fire-vs-nexus/
    Last edited by irv; September 15th, 2012 at 07:57 PM.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

There are pros and cons to both device.

The Kindle Fire has more Media, far and away. Books, movies, and music-- Amazon's been at the forefront for years and years. Not even apple can compete with this collection yet.

It also has more options, being able to opt for the the 1024 x 600, 1280x800, or 1920 x 1200 screen, depending on what you need and want to pay.

Both devices lack the one thing that would truly have set them apart, which is expandable storage such an SD card slot. Of course its obvious why this is, both companies aim to sell you their content, so its best if it is more difficult to provide your own.

The Kindle fire also has more storage at the same price point, which will be beneficial. Essentially its 8gb vs 16gb, and 16gb vs 32gn, at the even price comparison for models.

They are both amazing devices. It depends primarily on your needs.

I am disappointed the nexus 7 doesn't have a higher resolution version like the kindle though. An extra $100 for the 1920x1200 8.9" LCD is well worth it.
    Desktop
    Antec 300 Illusion, Athlon II X4 640, 8GB DDR3 1333, EarthWatts430W, Radeon HD 6670 1GB
    Laptop
    Lenovo Thinkpad Z61T, T7200@2.00GHz, 2GB DDR2, 100gb HD, TPM Encryption

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

The Kindle 1920x1200 8.9" LCD is not due out until Oct. I thought about this, but then I read how Amazon Kindle has all these ads. And in one review it said you have to pay to remove these ads.

My wife and I both have Nooks and the thing I don't like about the Nook is we are locked into B&N store, and if I go with the Kindle we are again locked into Amazon store. But I have Amazon prime which makes the Kindle appealing for Movies. Another thing I don't like about B&N is they charge for everything and that includes many thing that is free elsewhere.

Now I understand that Nexus 7 has Google Store, but is able to use Amazon store, but you need a add on app. (I don't know if I am right on this one). Also I would love a table that I could use with all or any store I wish too.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Statia View Post
    It is not fair to completely blame this on Asus or Google. Italy, like most EU countries has a Value Added Tax, which in Italy is 21%. This alone bumps a $249 price to €230.

It is the same here: only the 16GB model is available here, which costs €250.
    I am guessing US retailers are not allowed by Google to ship them to the EU and even if they were it would not matter: you would pay for shipping, customs would still slap the VAT on, the mail will front that for you and then charge you €15 euros for performing that service that you did not ask for.
    Cheapest tablet here start from ~70€ (100$) and include '7 inch screen, microSD slot, host USB (you can use compatible 3g dongle) with 21% VAT and 2 years warranty (mandatory by law)
    Of course, very cheap materials and bad CPU (800mhz~1ghz) but still I don't see appealing nearly 200% price raise for something more advertised. I'd rather buy a cheap one and wait for the one at right price (150€) for the right stuff (1gb-ram, dual core, microsd, host USB, microHdmi).
    in the end I would had spend 220€ (70+150) but with extra tablet (make it wifi-hotspot, ebook reader, downloader or anything come up I'm my mind). In this way: if the product for the price I WANT to pay for don't come... I just don't need to buy.

150€ for a Nexus now? maybe (lack of microsd still make me wonder), but +250€? no way.

Too bad nexus will sell well in EU (looks like there's still some people with money to waste) so I'll need to wait longer for 150€ tablet I am looking for.
    What if someday login in your facebook account you're required to accept yet-another-update license agreement saying you're a total idiot? Quit Facebook, join Diaspora*
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

My wife and I both have Nooks and the thing I don't like about the Nook is we are locked into B&N store, and if I go with the Kindle we are again locked into Amazon store.
    Actually, Nook's read regular ePubs that you can get from the library or from free download sites of public domain content. They also can read books bought from Google Play.

And by "read" I mean natively and without software conversion.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    Actually, Nook's read regular ePubs that you can get from the library or from free download sites of public domain content. They also can read books bought from Google Play.

And by "read" I mean natively and without software conversion.
    Yes I have downloaded epub files and keep them in Ubuntuone. On my Nook I go to Ubuntuone and download them to my Nook. See my post #2505 at http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...8#post12242148 In face read the next couple of post after that.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I hope this isn't considered necromancy (feel free to close otherwise), but I just got a Nexus 7, and I love this device. Maybe I'm being a bit hasty on making this call after only one day, but I definitely see this as being my main at-home device, with my laptop for major stuff (extensive typing of LibreOffice documents, for example).

My wife and I have had an iPad 2 for a while now, and it mainly collects dust. Occasionally, we'll use it to stream Netflix, but it's too big and heavy to be comfortably viewed in bed. And our smartphones are too tiny.

The Nexus 7 screen is great, the video rendering is without any kind of stuttering. It also (with much better specs, of course) runs Jelly Bean much better than my Galaxy Nexus does. If you're not too hung up on the expandable storage issue, I'd highly recommend this device.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by aysiu View Post
    I hope this isn't considered necromancy (feel free to close otherwise), but I just got a Nexus 7, and I love this device. Maybe I'm being a bit hasty on making this call after only one day, but I definitely see this as being my main at-home device, with my laptop for major stuff (extensive typing of LibreOffice documents, for example).

My wife and I have had an iPad 2 for a while now, and it mainly collects dust. Occasionally, we'll use it to stream Netflix, but it's too big and heavy to be comfortably viewed in bed. And our smartphones are too tiny.

The Nexus 7 screen is great, the video rendering is without any kind of stuttering. It also (with much better specs, of course) runs Jelly Bean much better than my Galaxy Nexus does. If you're not too hung up on the expandable storage issue, I'd highly recommend this device.
    Thanks for all this good info. I guess my big question is Amazon? I have a prime membership and I have been watching some old TV shows I can't get elsewhere. So can you watch movies from Amazon on the Nexus 7? Right now I do Netfix an Hulu on my Nook, but when I try doing Amazon via the web browser on the Nook I have some issues.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks for all this good info. I guess my big question is Amazon? I have a prime membership and I have been watching some old TV shows I can't get elsewhere. So can you watch movies from Amazon on the Nexus 7? Right now I do Netfix an Hulu on my Nook, but when I try doing Amazon via the web browser on the Nook I have some issues.
    I've never been a big Amazon Prime Instant Video fan (I do have Amazon Prime--I've just found the Prime streaming a bit difficult to navigate). I know they just recently released an app for the iPad. I would say if you're utterly dependent on Prime Instant Video, the Nexus 7 is not for you (yet--Amazon may still release an app for Android in the future).

I believe the Nexus 7 is a better spec'ed tablet than the Nook Tablet, but I haven't yet tried streaming Amazon Instant Video via a side-loaded Flash through Firefox. I'll try that out later. Netflix works great, though.

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast