Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: No Nexus 7 for me

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: No Nexus 7 for me

Here, in EU, Asus is trying to push the 16gb model (8gb currently "unavailable") at 249€ ( 318$) while soon Kindle fire 7 (8gb) will be sold at 159€ ( 204$).

I am just sorry for those who will trash their money for the overpriced "cheap" Nexus Tablet; anyway, no wonder why Asus desperately needed "Google's blessing" in order to sell more tablet if used to such practices.
    What if someday login in your facebook account you're required to accept yet-another-update license agreement saying you're a total idiot? Quit Facebook, join Diaspora*
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by alexan View Post
    Here, in EU, Asus is trying to push the 16gb model (8gb currently "unavailable") at 249€ ( 318$) while soon Kindle fire 7 (8gb) will be sold at 159€ ( 204$).

I am just sorry for those who will trash their money for the overpriced "cheap" Nexus Tablet; anyway, no wonder why Asus desperately needed "Google's blessing" in order to sell more tablet if used to such practices.
    Now that the new Kindle Fire is out we can compare it to the Nexus 7.
    Amazon New Kindle Fire vs Google Nexus 7
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans

For me the Asus Nexus 7 does all that I wanted and does it very well, and no hitches. I paid $NZ390 and would have paid more if needed as it is the best small form factor Tablet that I could find.
    This account is not active.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Love my Nexus 7, that is all.

Beans
    Distro

Is the screen sensitive enough to sketch on. The screen of the iPad isn't, but it's close. If I can create digital art on the bus, I'm purchasing.
    My site - for my role-playing games, spaceships and stuff like that.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I thought about getting a Nexus 7 after reading some good things that was said about it. Now that Amazon's new Kindle is out and I have had a chance to compare them, I am thinking that the Nexus 7 is still the better choice. It has it's pros and cons so I am still weighting them against one another.

I have a Nook now so I have been taking my time in picking one. Also I have thought about the Samsung Tab2 at: http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy...+galaxy+tablet

Maybe I can get some feed back on this.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The Nexus 7 nails it for me. For music, I use my Ubuntu One app; books and magazines, Aldiko, Calibre Companion, and Nook (my e-reader was a nook, I still have some books DRMed into it). Netflix works fine, though I will prefer Amazon, as I have a Prime account, and Amazon isn't happy with the Nexus.

Totally nails it. Google Now is useless, but I have been using Speaktoit Assistant for a while now, it suits my needs perfectly. Best $200 I've spent in a long time.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Docaltmed View Post
    The Nexus 7 nails it for me. For music, I use my Ubuntu One app; books and magazines, Aldiko, Calibre Companion, and Nook (my e-reader was a nook, I still have some books DRMed into it). Netflix works fine, though I will prefer Amazon, as I have a Prime account, and Amazon isn't happy with the Nexus.

Totally nails it. Google Now is useless, but I have been using Speaktoit Assistant for a while now, it suits my needs perfectly. Best $200 I've spent in a long time.
    Thank for the input. I appreciate the input.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    Now that the new Kindle Fire is out we can compare it to the Nexus 7.
    Amazon New Kindle Fire vs Google Nexus 7
    Review seems telling Nexus is big winner...and I am not surprised, that's something Google is very good at: advertise.

Advertisement is basically selling you something with small little price raise for something you want... giving you back something you "may" be interested into.

So far I am used to wifi I never used Bluetooth on my smartphone: I am more than glad to see useless feature gone away for price cut-off. GPS is good, but I've already it my smartphone and so camera.

quad-core CPU is absolute charm... and surely I would have choose Nexus over Kindle if it was put on EU market at the fair price of 200$. but, no thanks: I'll probably go for a 10 inch China tablet for 60~70$ until a more serious company begin provide not-inflated price.
    Probably more interested in a RaspberryPi Made in UK rather a US/Taiwan's China reseller with inflated prices.
    What if someday login in your facebook account you're required to accept yet-another-update license agreement saying you're a total idiot? Quit Facebook, join Diaspora*
    my webcomics ~ my diasp*

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by alexan View Post
    Here in Italy Nexus 7 equipped with 16GiB is priced 249€... which is 313$ (instead the 250$ pay us citizen) and, basically, mean Asus make fun of their EU clients.
    It is not fair to completely blame this on Asus or Google. Italy, like most EU countries has a Value Added Tax, which in Italy is 21%. This alone bumps a $249 price to €230.

It is the same here: only the 16GB model is available here, which costs €250.
    I am guessing US retailers are not allowed by Google to ship them to the EU and even if they were it would not matter: you would pay for shipping, customs would still slap the VAT on, the mail will front that for you and then charge you €15 euros for performing that service that you did not ask for.

I am going to ask a friend to pick one up for me in the US and I'll pick it up next time we meet.

(I ordered a LCD for use with lcdproc a while ago in Hong Kong. Base cost: $52. Shipping: $25. Extra cost in taxes and handling when it turned up on my doorstep: €29. So that is €88 for a product that costs €40. When I needed a second one I just had a friend bring it. )

Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast