Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 115

Thread: No Nexus 7 for me

Hybrid View

  1. #1
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Le Petit Rocher
    Beans
    1,549
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

    No Nexus 7 for me

    I almost bought one today but I looked at the find print and there is no sd card slot, so you can not add memory. I am out on this product. I think it is dumb that they decided not to offer a sd card slot. My Android phone has 8 gigs on-board and I have a 32 gig sd card installed. All the memory is almost filled, so I can not imagine how the Nexus 7 would work for me with even the 16 gig version. I have a lot of book, some music, and some pictures and a lot of apps installed but not overly loaded with junk, just what I need to get by. I am going to wait and see what comes out from Amazon and Asus in the next few weeks. I am sorry to see the Google Nexus 7 come out with this package.
    Six Saturdays a week for me.

  2. #2
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: No Nexus 7 for me

    It's $200 with a Quad Core CPU and a 12 core GPU. It's part of Google's Nexus program so it will be the first to get the next version of Android (KLP?). It has a 1280x800 IPS display.

    For that price I can live without it. Google has made it very easy to download what you need from the device when you need it, and remove it from storage when you need space.
    That's what she said.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Beans
    0

    Re: No Nexus 7 for me

    +1
    16GB is a lot too, do you really need more than 16GB media with you before you get to your computer and are able to upload new stuff?
    I have a 4GB card in my current Android phone, and I have never ran past 2GB (this including the occasional movie/TV show episodes and a few albums of music).
    I just switch around when I feel like listening to something else. A 16GB non-extendable capacity is not the best reason not to go for a good piece of machinery, atleast that's my oppinion.
    Last edited by Brimwylf; June 28th, 2012 at 08:08 AM.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: No Nexus 7 for me

    if it has a USB port you can add usb stick or portable disk.
    still i think they should have added the card slot...
    Easy to understand Ubuntu manual with lots of pics: http://ubuntu-manual.org/
    Do i need antivirus/firewall in linux?
    User friendly disk backup: Redobackup

  5. #5
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Beans
    0

    Re: No Nexus 7 for me

    It has the micro usb so you can always plug in a drive/stick. A bit of management and 16gb is plenty of room.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    New York
    Beans
    52
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

    nexus 7 for me

    I haven't seen much about android I like but at this point, all the OEM's are so risk averse and slow to act that nothing out this year or maybe next will be much more of a machine anyway. At least the graphics and CPU have a shot at being smooth and will be tweaked for google apps that I use so I bought one in the first 15 seconds. I think it was a crime to ditch the SD and HDMI off the original design (MeMo) but since it's going to be just an appliance anyway who really cares? See you in 2014 running an ubuntu studio tablet.

    Unless of course ubuntu for android happens to run on the nexus7

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    N. Wisconsin
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: No Nexus 7 for me

    Quote Originally Posted by coastalrocket View Post
    It has the micro usb so you can always plug in a drive/stick. A bit of management and 16gb is plenty of room.
    And they can come in 32 GB iirc.
    AMD PII X6 @ 3.63 GHz - 16 GB DDR3 (1600 No OC) - ASUS Crosshair V Formula
    SB X-Fi 2 Sound (8ch) - Intel 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet - Win 8 Pro. x64
    AMD R HD 7950 (SAPPHIRE) - WD CG 500GB - Thermaltake Frio CPU Cooler

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Buenavista, ADN, Phils
    Beans
    283

    Re: No Nexus 7 for me

    Quote Originally Posted by Brimwylf View Post
    +1
    16GB is a lot too, do you really need more than 16GB media with you before you get to your computer and are able to upload new stuff?
    I have a 4GB card in my current Android phone, and I have never ran past 2GB (this including the occasional movie/TV show episodes and a few albums of music).
    I just switch around when I feel like listening to something else. A 16GB non-extendable capacity is not the best reason not to go for a good piece of machinery, atleast that's my oppinion.
    OMG I would fill up 16GB just uploading music I may want to listen to later, not to mention what I am sure I would want to listen to. IMHO anyone putting in less then 64GB base mem is a joke.
    Mac Mini: OSX 10.9 Mavericks, i7-3720QM 2.6Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 830 Series SSD, Intel HD4000 iGPU, 2x Samsung Series3 LED Monitors.
    Photography Homepage: exodistphotography.blogspot.com
    Linux User: 380654

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Beans
    Hidden!

    Re: No Nexus 7 for me

    Quote Originally Posted by Bandit View Post
    OMG I would fill up 16GB just uploading music I may want to listen to later, not to mention what I am sure I would want to listen to. IMHO anyone putting in less then 64GB base mem is a joke.
    Ever since I started using Google music, I've stopped copying music onto my device.

    It's all in the cloud, when I go out with my phone, I download a couple of albums I want to listen to, grab my headphones and go. When storage gets tight (which it hasn't yet on my 8gb Microsd), I can remove what I don't want to listen to.
    That's what she said.

  10. #10
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Beans
    0

    Re: No Nexus 7 for me

    Quote Originally Posted by AllRadioisDead View Post
    Ever since I started using Google music, I've stopped copying music onto my device.

    It's all in the cloud, when I go out with my phone, I download a couple of albums I want to listen to, grab my headphones and go. When storage gets tight (which it hasn't yet on my 8gb Microsd), I can remove what I don't want to listen to.
    I do the same thing, minus the Google music bit. I use my local storage for storing. I have a total of 5 albums of music on my phone now, enough to last me the road to work and back.
    But yeah, some people like having it all with them at any given time, I have friends that do the same. Still, 16GB seems enough for me, but you can't argue with other people's needs I guess.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •