Thread: Strange orange lines after installation

Beans

Exclamation Strange orange lines after installation

I have been using ubuntu for a while on my laptop which successfully upgraded to 12.04LTS but when I installed Ubuntu 12.04 on my desktop and booted it the screen was covered in orange lines of different lengths.

Beans

Re: Strange orange lines after installation

My computer is a Custom built Sandy Bridge i7 with 8GB of RAM and an AMD Radeon HD6670. I have a USB V.2.0 Motherboard and my screen is a Samsung SyncMaster XL2370 which does not require the driver.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Which graphics driver are you using, the open source or proprietary ATI driver? Do you see the same stripes when you run a liveCD on the desktop?

Beans

I use AMD Catalyst Control Centre (not sure about the actual driver itself) version 2012.0611.1251.21046 It is not the open source driver though.
    I used the Windows installer for Ubuntu. I will attempt the liveCD and will reply when I have tried it.

Beans

OK... CD didn't work at all, I figured out that it was the driver, I installed Ubuntu on my dad's older computer. It had a graphical issue that was a black screen, it was caused by the driver and the nVidia graphics card had a 2009 driver. My ATI driver is NOT open source so I will check for the open source driver and see if it helps.

Edit: Could anyone provide the link to the open source driver? All the instructions only work on Ubuntu which I can hardly use let alone opening an application.
    Last edited by WeirdOrange; June 19th, 2013 at 09:19 AM. Reason: I can't find the driver and all the instructions don't work.