Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can't see ubuntu external drive from vista

Beans

Can't see ubuntu external drive from vista

I like to update my music and pictures from vista to ubuntu or vica verca to keep them up todate on both drives incase one or the other fails . But I always have to boot from Ubuntu and go into windows drive which is a pain in the *** when Im on vista.

So is there anyway to make ubuntu on the external drive visible on windows vista so I dont always have to switch when Im using vista?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Can't see ubuntu external drive from vista

Ubuntu uses the ext4 filesystem, which is unreadable by windows. If you wish to store files for both OSs, you should make a new partition with the NTFS filesystem.

regards
    i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz | MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | Gigabyte GTX 570 (OC) 1280 MB GDDR5 | Alpenföhn Himalaya | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB CL9 RAM | Be quiet! Straight Power BQT-E9 700W | NZXT Lexa S | Monitor - ASUS ML248H 24"

Beans

windows does not recongize ext4. youll have to reformat/reinstall ubuntu on ntfs partitions

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by holycow131415 View Post
    windows does not recongize ext4. youll have to reformat/reinstall ubuntu on ntfs partitions
    no need to do so...he just needs one NTFS partition where he can store files for both operating systems. Besides, you cannot install ubuntu on ntfs..
    i5 2500k @ 4.4 GHz | MSI Z68A-GD65 (G3) | Gigabyte GTX 570 (OC) 1280 MB GDDR5 | Alpenföhn Himalaya | Corsair Vengeance 1600MHz 8GB CL9 RAM | Be quiet! Straight Power BQT-E9 700W | NZXT Lexa S | Monitor - ASUS ML248H 24"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Or you can install ext2fsd in Windows to give you read/write access to ext4 partitions.
    http://www.webupd8.org/2011/08/acces...itions-in.html

I wouldn't recommend it though, instead it would be better to set up a shared NTFS data partition.
    Cheesemill

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Basher101 View Post
    no need to do so...he just needs one NTFS partition where he can store files for both operating systems. Besides, you cannot install ubuntu on ntfs..

Ok so forgive the patition noob. Are you saying I make a partition for the OS and then a seperate partition for the media? will I still be able to read these partitions by default in music , pictures , video folders in ubuntu?

cprofitt is offline νόησις νοήσεως - nóesis noéseos
    Beans
    Distro

Windows needs to have a special program to see ext# formatted drives (partitions).

You can use: Ext2Fsd

Though in most cases making a data partition that is NTFS works well.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cprofitt View Post
    Windows needs to have a special program to see ext# formatted drives (partitions).

You can use: Ext2Fsd

Though in most cases making a data partition that is NTFS works well.

Awwww yea..... That program did exactly what I wanted done THANKS ALOT . That was a simple solution as opposed to creating partitions and all that .

Beans

Thanks to all who replied!!!!

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Gh0zt36 View Post
    Awwww yea..... That program did exactly what I wanted done THANKS ALOT . That was a simple solution as opposed to creating partitions and all that .
    Although it appears to work OK, I wouldn't rely on it if I were you.

Just the same way as accessing your Windows OS partition from Ubuntu can sometimes break Windows without any warning, accessing your Ubuntu partition from Windows can also sometimes break Ubuntu.

The best option is to create a shared NTFS partition for all of your data.
    Cheesemill

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast