Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Is there a System76 laptop with a higher end graphics adapter?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Is there a System76 laptop with a higher end graphics adapter?

Quote Originally Posted by 3Miro View Post
    Thanks for the tip, those are perfect, but WOW....expensive. I may just bite the bullet and get a System76...stay tuned. I've also heard that Dell is working on a high-end Ubuntu laptop...codenamed project sputnik. I contacted Dell and currently it seems like a long way off...
    Last edited by HDave; July 5th, 2012 at 03:21 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Good evening from Aurora, Colorado, home of System76. Unbelievable, What happened to nVidia graphics? I'm the owner of a Panp6 (gasp, from back in the good ol' days?) and soon will be upgrading to? Sorry dudes off Parker Ave., but has anyone heard of R&J Tech? You can get the computer that System76 used to sell, except you don't get their driver and you have to install ubuntu yourself. Step it up and I'll still go with you guys, because your support is super fantastic and that too is important.

Richard

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebearbevis View Post
    Good evening from Aurora, Colorado, home of System76. Unbelievable, What happened to nVidia graphics? I'm the owner of a Panp6 (gasp, from back in the good ol' days?) and soon will be upgrading to? Sorry dudes off Parker Ave., but has anyone heard of R&J Tech? You can get the computer that System76 used to sell, except you don't get their driver and you have to install ubuntu yourself. Step it up and I'll still go with you guys, because your support is super fantastic and that too is important.

Richard
    Just note that if you want to go that route, you'd probably need to opt for the AMD 7970M, since Nvidia's refusal to support this Optimus crap (used in all their new mobile GPUs) is the reason there's been such a delay in the new System76 laptops to begin with.

I too hope to be able to buy from System76, but I need to get a new computer pretty soon I've talked to a few people who have bought the Clevo computers being sold by R&J, and it seems like they've gotten everything working OK in various Linux distros, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that our favourite team will get things together sometime in the next month or so!
    Last edited by Penguissimo; July 5th, 2012 at 02:39 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Hello again,

So now I'm curious. I first installed Ubuntu on an old Dell Dimension Desktop when I replaced the hard drive and didn't have the wingdohs xp disc. An nVidia 5200 something, awesome with Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope. Loving Linux and never looking back, I purchased a Pangolin Performance from System76 in late 2009. Again nVidia, this time a g105m. Always ultimately incredible performance after correcting(usually self inflicted)wounds. See past posts about System76 exemplary support. 12.04 64 bit working flawlessly on ol' Panny, guess I'll wait until nVidia gets it's act together, in the mean time, whom to write, where to post? Tom? Ian?

Sincerely, Richard

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I get my laptop on the 12. One day left not counting tonight. I can't wait!! I was thinking of doing a video review for the florida loco team blog or miami local ubuntu user group.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by GOVATENT View Post
    I get my laptop on the 12. One day left not counting tonight. I can't wait!! I was thinking of doing a video review for the florida loco team blog or miami local ubuntu user group.
    Let us know if you decide to do the review! We'd love to hear your feedback, and we can even share it on our social networks if you wish!
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebearbevis View Post
    Hello again,

So now I'm curious. I first installed Ubuntu on an old Dell Dimension Desktop when I replaced the hard drive and didn't have the wingdohs xp disc. An nVidia 5200 something, awesome with Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope. Loving Linux and never looking back, I purchased a Pangolin Performance from System76 in late 2009. Again nVidia, this time a g105m. Always ultimately incredible performance after correcting(usually self inflicted)wounds. See past posts about System76 exemplary support. 12.04 64 bit working flawlessly on ol' Panny, guess I'll wait until nVidia gets it's act together, in the mean time, whom to write, where to post? Tom? Ian?

Sincerely, Richard
    Nvidia has problems only with Optimus (a.k.a. Hybrid Graphics). The older models that had just Nvidia graphics work great with 12.04 (as well as other versions of Ubuntu).

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    Intel graphics have garnered a reputation over the past few years for being very slow and unsupported. But the situation is now turned around completely. Intel graphics adapters feature full driver support out of the box in Ubuntu, with no additional drivers needed. On top of that, the recent Sandy Bridge and (particularly) Ivy Bridge chip designs have rendered low end discrete graphics completely obsolete.
    My Serp5 has a nvidia 260M - how would that compare to the new integrated graphics? Would a 260M now be considered low end?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bakelitedoorbell View Post
    My Serp5 has a nvidia 260M - how would that compare to the new integrated graphics? Would a 260M now be considered low end?
    You would definitely see equivalent or better performance on the HD 4000 graphics. The 260M was a high-mid range card when it was released, but would be considered lower end by today's standards.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Well, I just caved and ordered my Pangolin with the Intel graphics 4000. I can't wait any longer and figured I could give it to my wife if things improve. Their customer support said it runs compiz very well. I hope it does...though I am sure I won't be running my 3D CAD vizualization stuff on it

I'll report back once I get a chance to really use it. I did max out the processors and memory so at least I can run a handful of Virtualbox VMs at the same time.

I've always had success with nVidia on laptops with Ubuntu in the past and am really disaapointed to hear that their new technology isn't working with Linux. I guess this is what Linus was referring to when he said FU to nvidia during that speech a couple weeks back. At the time, I thought he went overboard...now that it's hit me in the head, I'm reconsidering...
    Last edited by HDave; July 13th, 2012 at 10:35 PM.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast