hi, i am trying to:
    abc@abc-linux:~/Desktop$ cat "sample.au" > /dev/snd/seq

but it says:cat write error invalid argument

do you see what the problem is?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: cat write error invalid argument

Do you have write permissions for that file? Try running the command with sudo.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by drmrgd View Post
    Do you have write permissions for that file? Try running the command with sudo.
    yes i tried it with sudo but same error occured.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I don't think "cat" is the command you need here. Try using "echo" instead. And use double redirector if you want to add to existing file instead of replacing all information.
    Code:
    abc@abc-linux:~/Desktop$ sudo echo "sample.au" >> /dev/snd/seq
    Break it, fix it, learn something.
    People who never make mistakes seldom make anything!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Miljet View Post
    I don't think "cat" is the command you need here. Try using "echo" instead. And use double redirector if you want to add to existing file instead of replacing all information.
    Code:
    abc@abc-linux:~/Desktop$ sudo echo "sample.au" >> /dev/snd/seq
    i tried echo but the error is same:echo: write error: Invalid argument

Beans

/dev/snd/seq is a character special file - I think this is more likely why you're getting the error (and why it's 'invalid argument' not 'permission denied')

What exactly are you trying to do? I don't really know anything about sound but afaik there are some alsa utilities for this kind of thing at a higher level (amidi? aplaymidi?)

[btw if it was a permissions issue then 'sudo cat' wouldn't help because it's the redirect of stdout that needs elevated write permissions - you could use a 'sudo tee' instead of the '>' or wrap the whole command in a sudo sh 'cat ...' however iirc the default is for /etc/snd/seq to be rw for members of the audio group so provided user is a member of 'audio' there should be no permission issue]

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by steeldriver View Post
    /dev/snd/seq is a character special file - I think this is more likely why you're getting the error (and why it's 'invalid argument' not 'permission denied')

What exactly are you trying to do? I don't really know anything about sound but afaik there are some alsa utilities for this kind of thing at a higher level (amidi? aplaymidi?)

[btw if it was a permissions issue then 'sudo cat' wouldn't help because it's the redirect of stdout that needs elevated write permissions - you could use a 'sudo tee' instead of the '>' or wrap the whole command in a sudo sh 'cat ...' however iirc the default is for /etc/snd/seq to be rw for members of the audio group so provided user is a member of 'audio' there should be no permission issue]
    this is an example of accessing devices in a pdf document.it should play the file but it didnt via this codes:
    Code:
    sudo cat  sample.au  >  /dev/snd/seq