Thread: Laptop cooling methods

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Laptop cooling methods

Somewhat off-topic, so I apologize in advance. I'm a bit obsessive about running temperatures...

Currently, I have my lemu4 sitting on a Belkin notebook stand with a single USB-powered fan in the middle: http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-F5L001-.../dp/B000NWIOM6 The size is perfect for the lemu4, and with the fan running, I can get temps to drop about 5-6 degrees centigrade.

I'm curious to know about any methods that laptop owners here are using for cooling. Is there a product or trick that I'm missing?

Thanks!

Beans

Re: Laptop cooling methods

Not a trick, but I've found that my laptop runs about 10 °F cooler (I think that's about 5 °C) since upgrading to ubuntu 12.04.

Beans

1. clean the dust from the inside if it havent been cleand
    2. lift it a few cm from the surface it's standing on
    3. underclock it
    4. take any computer fan, plug it through an adapter to 12V, place it under the laptop.

that's what i did at least.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Strojar View Post
    3. underclock it
    that's what i did at least.
    How did you do that on an S76 laptop?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio

Install Jupiter Applet and set it to power on demand or power savings. When set to power savings it does reduce processor speed by 1/2 and in turn runs about 10 degrees centigrade cooler.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by joe4ska View Post
    Install Jupiter Applet and set it to power on demand or power savings. When set to power savings it does reduce processor speed by 1/2 and in turn runs about 10 degrees centigrade cooler.
    Interesting, thanks. I just installed it, and I'll see how it goes. On Xubuntu, after installation, I got "Jupiter crashed with KeyError in get_cpu_mode_name(): False" but it appears to be running.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by brdmn View Post
    Interesting, thanks. I just installed it, and I'll see how it goes. On Xubuntu, after installation, I got "Jupiter crashed with KeyError in get_cpu_mode_name(): False" but it appears to be running.
    Bummer, didn't really do much for me. Seemed like a cool idea though. I guess I'll have to stick with the external fan (very effective, if a bit noisy) and wait for Intel to make cooler running processors.