Thread: How do you fine tune font appearance in Unity?

Beans

How do you fine tune font appearance in Unity?

I have just installed 12.04. I remember in older versions of Ubuntu, there was a place in the system settings to fine tune font appearance to improve clarity. Settings like smoothing could be altered, and there was a way to optimise them for LCD screens etc.

I just want them to look as clear as Windows fonts do. Right now, I don't even see a way to change the system fonts.

Beans

Re: How do you fine tune font appearance in Unity?

If you are searching for hinting, sub-pixel order and DPI settings, those were removed from Ubuntu since the switch to Unity.

You can still adjust those in Xubuntu 12.04.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

Install MyUnity from Software Centre, and then from My Unity click on the font tab and there are hinting and antialiasing options.

Quote Originally Posted by ubnewbie2 View Post
    I just want them to look as clear as Windows fonts do.
    As clear as? They look better to me, but I'll check again after I pick up my new spectacles later today!

Quote Originally Posted by Seb71 View Post
    If you are searching for hinting, sub-pixel order and DPI settings, those were removed from Ubuntu since the switch to Unity.
    Point of information - they were removed from gnome 3 by the upstream gnome people.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    Install MyUnity from Software Centre, and then from My Unity click on the font tab and there are hinting and antialiasing options.

As clear as? They look better to me, but I'll check again after I pick up my new spectacles later today!

Point of information - they were removed from gnome 3 by the upstream gnome people.

Thanks for the help. I am afraid I am shaking my head at how they can leave out things like this. I have never installed a version of ubuntu where tweaking wasn't necessary to get the fonts looking right - so instead of fixing the problem, they decide to remove the tools that can actually fix it?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

As I said, Ubuntu did not remove this option; the upstream gnome people did. You have the MyUnity package to restore this functionality in Unity.
    Ubuntu 20.04 Desktop Guide - Ubuntu 22.04 Desktop Guide - Forum Guide to BBCode - Using BBCode code tags

Member: Not Canonical Team

If you need help with your forum account, such as SSO login issues, username changes, etc, the correct place to contact an admin is here. Please do not PM me about these matters unless you have been asked to - unsolicited PMs concerning forum accounts will be ignored.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Budgie Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by ubnewbie2 View Post
    Thanks for the help. I am afraid I am shaking my head at how they can leave out things like this. I have never installed a version of ubuntu where tweaking wasn't necessary to get the fonts looking right - so instead of fixing the problem, they decide to remove the tools that can actually fix it?
    This was a Gnome 3 change and not something Ubuntu decided to omit. I haven't had font problems with Ubuntu in the past or currently, but that certainly doesn't other users don't. Advanced Settings has some font setting options, but I think My Unity has what you are looking for.
    "Our intention creates our reality. "

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Flavors

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Sure glad I saw this thread! I had eye surgery and this tip on making the fonts look better was just what I needed! Thanks!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecat View Post
    As I said, Ubuntu did not remove this option; the upstream gnome people did. You have the MyUnity package to restore this functionality in Unity.
    Yep, I saw that. Wasn't allocating blame to Ubuntu in particular, just whoever did it

MyUnity certainly does help remedy the situation - thanks again for pointing it out.