Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Career Path After Completing CIS Degree

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Career Path After Completing CIS Degree

Quote Originally Posted by spynappels View Post
    Yep that's the one.

I found self studying worked well for me, with the employer contributing towards the cost of the examinations and certification fees, that kept the cost down for me. However, others work better in a structured learning environment, so for these people an actual course/guided learning materials may work better.

You may find that your degree may help you get an interview for a job, but at the interview, your knowledge and personal skills may be more relevant. Just don't get hung up on degrees or other bits of paper, if you can show you can do a job, or at least show you can get the tools to learn how to do tasks and are prepared to apply yourself, with the right employer, you'll have a chance.

One tip: When learning all things *nix, VirtualBox or another virtualization platform is your best friend. Create VMs, break them and fix them, best way to learn.
    It's funny that you mentioned VirtualBox because I was actually going to set it up on my Ubuntu to test out some other operating systems, but my system only has 512 MB RAM so I was advised not to set it up. However, I should be getting a better system within the week. I'll try setting up VirtualBox on the updated system if it can handle it. I do tend to get overwhelmed with the bits of paper in thinking that employers will look at my resume, not see any certifications, and then just discard my resume for someone who has certifications. A chance is all I need so I'm trying to improve my chances.
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

There's not much chance of a good job in England. We've been sold down the River.

You'll probably get a job serving fries in McDonalds or stacking shelves in Poundland
    You can take my trousers but you won't take my Freedom !

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by SparTacux View Post
    There's not much chance of a good job in England. We've been sold down the River.

You'll probably get a job serving fries in McDonalds or stacking shelves in Poundland
    Good thing I'm not in England then.
    Question Everything

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by Shadius View Post
    It's funny that you mentioned VirtualBox because I was actually going to set it up on my Ubuntu to test out some other operating systems, but my system only has 512 MB RAM so I was advised not to set it up. However, I should be getting a better system within the week. I'll try setting up VirtualBox on the updated system if it can handle it. I do tend to get overwhelmed with the bits of paper in thinking that employers will look at my resume, not see any certifications, and then just discard my resume for someone who has certifications. A chance is all I need so I'm trying to improve my chances.
    With 512mb or RAM, i don't suggest u go for virtualbox. Generally, a system with more than 4 gb would be better if u want virtualbox installation.
    I am # 34550 and # 547844

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by WinuxUser View Post
    With 512mb or RAM, i don't suggest u go for virtualbox. Generally, a system with more than 4 gb would be better if u want virtualbox installation.
    Yupp, I was told that about VirtualBox as well. I've received the new system and it has 4 GB of RAM! I think I'll set up VirtualBox once I figure out how to hook up the components of the new system. Expect a thread on how to set up VirtualBox since I have no clue about it!
    Question Everything

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Virtual box is easy thing to go with... lemme know where u run to problems...
    I am # 34550 and # 547844

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by WinuxUser View Post
    Virtual box is easy thing to go with... lemme know where u run to problems...
    Will do!
    Question Everything

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12