Thread: Moving Away from Wubi

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Moving Away from Wubi

I have recently gotten messages saying I am out of space. Well, it's all because Wubi underequipped me, and now I'm out to install Ubuntu the right way. Here are my partitions:
    Code:
    Partition - PartitionName - FileSystem (notes about partitions)
    /dev/sda1 - SYSTEM - ntfs (boot files, I think)
    /dev/sda2 - HP - ntfs (this is where all my stuff is stored currently)
    /dev/sda3 - FACTORY_IMAGE - ntfs (I'm gonna delete this soon since that is for Windows)
    /dev/sda4 - Ubuntu - ext3 (my new parition)
    Unallocated space - NA - unallocated (included with the computer)
    No swap space due to a lack of partition space. I wish I had EFI-then I could have all the partitions I wanted.
    I have done some research, and I have found how to move the Wubi drive to a new partition. I want to do this from my USB stick to keep the process as "clean" as possible. I have already backed up my stuff, so I want to know if I have the correct command. Note that I haven't executed the command yet. I am just really nervous that I have messed something up.
    Code:
    me@ubuntu:~$ sudo bash wubi-move-2.2.sh --root-disk=/media/win/ubuntu/disks/root.disk /dev/sda4
    I did this using the command provided for live CDs and USBs on the Documentation, but I don't want to screw anything up, and really want to make sure I am doing the right thing. Also, the reason I have adjusted the command from what they provide is because my partition table must be different from theirs. My target partition is sda4, not sda5. Also, if me adjusting the command will ruin it, should I adjust my partitions so sda5 is the target?
    TL;DR-please inform me if I am wrong with the command and double check my partition table to make sure I have the right command, and adjusting the command because sda4 is my target. I also have no swap space-is that a requirement?
    Last edited by Ubun2to; June 27th, 2012 at 04:14 AM.
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.