Thread: backlit keyboard on 12.04 toshiba z830

Beans

backlit keyboard on 12.04 toshiba z830

Hi

I have 12.04 lts on toshiba z830 and back lighting is not working.
    does anyone have worked it out ?

screen brightness and and volume keys are working with function keys
    and when I press function with keys with backlit (key Z ) it shows a symbol on screen ( see screen shot attached )

please help me out

Regards,
    idom
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by idom; May 19th, 2012 at 05:11 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: backlit keyboard on 12.04 toshiba z830

I also have a laptop with backlighting ... I've never got it to work in Linux.

A workaround I've found is a setting in my bios that lets me set the backlight.. So try to check in your BIOS.

Beans

Thanks I checked it in BIOS and with BIOS I am able to change it either on of off however to change i need to boot. I can not change it without re-booting.

Any help is appreciated.

idom

Quote Originally Posted by pfindan View Post
    I also have a laptop with backlighting ... I've never got it to work in Linux.

A workaround I've found is a setting in my bios that lets me set the backlight.. So try to check in your BIOS.

Beans

Same here. Toshiba p755 ubuntu 12.04. With FN + Z i get the symbol in the attachment, but don't seems to do anything... any ideas?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

I have the Toshiba Portege Z830, I had first install ubuntu 11.10 and now I format the hard disk for install another Win 7, not the one that is coming from the factory. Now I install ubuntu 12.04 dual boot with win 7 and everything is working well, so maybe be you need reinstall again.

Hope this will help.

Beans

I'm dual booting factory installed windows 7 64bit, with Ubuntu installed second. I had this problem too, and realized Gurranaki provided a hint.

In windows, I had set the keyboard light to off during the day. When booting into ubuntu I noticed the fn+z key showed an applet, but didn't change the backlight to on. I went into Windows and set the keyboard light to 'timer' then booted back into Ubuntu... now the light is on (timer). Haven't tried the BIOS thing, but I'm sure that works too.

But, the applet still appears in the top right, but doesn't change the keyboard backlight settings.

Beans

Hi,

I also have the same problem: I have a toshiba z830 with Ubuntu 12.04 (installed last week and fully updated) dual boot with Windows 7. As other users here I can use all functions but the back lit (although on the screen it does as it would work). I can switch it on and off in Windows but I would really really appreciate if this would work in Ubuntu. I bought this laptop because of its weight and battery life but having the back lit on all the time goes against long battery life....and switching windows<->Linux to and forth depending on the light conditions in my room...does not sound very appealing!