Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Your physical activity

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Your physical activity

I am a university student in CS. My schedule is wake up, go to school, surf the web, code, eat, sleep. I've tried to start sports/gym but the routine is just too hectic and when deadlines come, it simply becomes impossible to continue the thing. I was wondering what other programmers/IT professionals do for a healthy routine. Or they don't do anything?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Re: Your physical activity

I do P90X in the morning, then in the afternoon I will either put on my ruck and walk 3 miles, or run 5 to 7, or do Insanity, or use my heavy bag for 30 minutes.

Total time of working out runs from an hour and a half to 2 hours.

Sept for P90X yoga days then it's 2 and a half hours. Not really a lot when you think about how much time you have during the day.

P90X is for real.

Insanity will kill you. I'm in excellent shape thanks to the military and my own personal push... and I can't finish a complete Insanity workout with stopping halfway through for a break.

I like to break things up which is why I do heavy bag, treadmill, rucking, and Insanity as my second workout for the day.

I would suggest getting P90X and using that - you can probably get it for cheap now that it has been out for a while.
    "Only because the richest software company on the planet is utterly incompetent, and incapable of building a secure operating system. -- Carla Schroder

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I'm beat up, held together with steel, frequently on a cane and can't turn my head because of the military. At one point I was a PT monster. Ranger School, Sapper School, Airborne School, Air Assault School. I scoffed at the smoke.

Sometimes a <expletive deleted> day in the military turns into a <expletive deleted> day in the Army.

Sigh.
    Last edited by QIII; June 27th, 2012 at 01:52 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

I'm beat up, held together with steel, frequently on a cane and can't turn my head because of the military. At one point I was a PT monster.

Sometimes a <expletive deleted> day in the military turns into a <expletive deleted> day in the Army.

Sigh.

I get up, try to walk half a mile, get up several times a day to go out and walk around the block.

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.

Beans
    Distro

I can't Ranger or Jump or Air Assault. Freaking budget disallows non-essential MOS's from getting specialty schools. I was combat arms for many years and still couldn't get them. Sucked. Still sucks. Yet some 19 year old right of high school going into 92G get's SF in his contract. Ridiculous.

And, yes before you ask - they can actually get SFAS in their contracts now... when 'back in the day' it used to be you had to be an E4 promotable, etc...

Yet, with my PT score of 285 / 290 and 40 out of 40 I can't spend two weeks at Campbell for some wings.
    Last edited by ExSuSEusr; June 27th, 2012 at 02:04 AM.
    "Only because the richest software company on the planet is utterly incompetent, and incapable of building a secure operating system. -- Carla Schroder

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Different times.

Anyway...

Point for the OP is to do whatever it takes to make sure you do what you can to stretch yourself physically, because being completely sedentary will kill you.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

By the way, even with all the tabs, badges and an Airborne tab on my combat patch, it still costs me three dollars and a half for a bad cup of coffee at Starbucks. It all looks a little less important from the other end.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I get all the ultra fit military personnel to comment on this thread O.o you guys are way too fit for me. I am a 20 year old geek who just sits and does nothing

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

If you're struggling to make extra time to get some exercise then try to build some exercise into stuff you have to do anyway. Ride a bike to/from school instead of driving if you can, or mow the lawn with a push mower instead of a petrol one. Get off the bus/train a stop or two short, etc.

I wouldn't stress about it too much at 20, but if you're still sitting on your butt in 15 years time it'll start to bite.

Beans
    Distro

I ride my bike or walk for one hour at least once a week. My doctor advised me to do it 3 times a week (I'm prone to have high cholesterol levels), but sometimes I can't, due to work and other activities.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast