Thread: Webcam slow on 12.04 but not on 11.10

Threaded View

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Webcam slow on one system but not on another

Hello,

after experimenting with a very cheap webcam I recently bought a Logitech C310 for a project.
    On my Alienware m11xr2 laptop under Ubuntu 11.10 it runs great: 30fps of 640x480, no problem when I run guvcview (after setting the exposure to manual, that is).
    On my desktop (self-assembled with an Asus P8Z68-M PRO board, an i7-4core and an NVIDIA gx580 card) under Kubuntu 12.04 to my big surprise it maxes out at exaclty 16fps, whatever I try: also smaller resolutions, all format options, I tried all the controls I could find, but no difference.

I am very much surprised by this, since I built my desktop system to be fast. I can think of two explanations, but I have no idea if they make sense and how I can resolve this:

- is there some kind of regression in the newer kernel that is used in 12.04 ? very unlikely ?

- could it be that I have slow usb-controller or that usb is not working on its full speed ? How can I check or set this ? The motherboard only has usb 2.0 or 3.0 connections it says in the specs and i tried them both with no difference.

or if there are other plausible explanations I would be very curious to hear them. Kind regards,

Joost.
    Last edited by nourathar; June 28th, 2012 at 11:21 PM.