Thread: Booting directly into a Virtual Machine

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Question Booting directly into a Virtual Machine

I think I heard this on IRC, but I didn't understand very well.

Somebody mentioned that they booted there system right into a virtual machine. I am sure that is what they meant. This sounded very interesting. Why would anybody do that? What are the advantages? Is it difficult to do? How do you set it up?

Shouldn't a Virtual Machine installation of Ubuntu be as fast as a rocket, since the whole thing runs in RAM?
    Linux-libre ask for it
    Coreboot Free software to replace proprietary BIOS
    Trisquel a fully free GNU/Linux-libre distribution
    Open Source does not mean Free My Spec Earthlings

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Booting directly into a Virtual Machine

Virtual Machine installation of Ubuntu be as fast as a rocket, since the whole thing runs in RAM
    A VM usually shares RAM so you need lots of it. Some VM's are better than others by using dynamic RAM utilisation. Parallels for example.

If you need to boot right into an OS then why not go down the dual boot config option?
    Keep Ubuntu free! Donate any amount you like – just use the PayPal donation address donations@ubuntu.com

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: Booting directly into a Virtual Machine

Quote Originally Posted by yeehi View Post
    Shouldn't a Virtual Machine installation of Ubuntu be as fast as a rocket, since the whole thing runs in RAM?
    Any VM is going to be slower than running the same system on bare metal, because you've got the overhead of running two systems.

Virtualised operating systems don't run in RAM any more than their host OS does. You could try and optimise it so that as much of it as possible ran in RAM, but you could do that to a system on bare metal too.

People generally virtualise OSes for convenience, not speed.