Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Combine Gnome shell and Gnome classic features

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Combine Gnome shell and Gnome classic features

Hi guys,

I tried many deskop environments ... unity, gnome shell, gnome classic, cinnamon. And all of them have some pieces I would like to use but some other annoyances that make me crazy.

These are my must-haves:
    * Panel at the top: global menu that is always visible, all indicators on the right side
    * hot corner for invoking an overview, this overview has to allow to switch to workspaces, drag applications and windows to different workspaces/screens.
    * Dock at the bottom or left to start favorite apps
    * Use a unity dash approach for launching other apps

With Unity the global menu is not visible by default, but it has a good launcher, window management is buggy and not intuitive.
    Why can't i combine Comiz Scale and Expo? It would make live so much easier.
    I like the Gnome shell approach regarding window management better.

Gnome shell on the other hand lacks a global menu, at least a useful one. I don't want the menus be hidden in submenus and so on.

Additionally Gnome shell overview shows the workspace switcher only on one of my screens (dual screen setup? Why?
    Additionally I'd like to have horizontal workspaces and the switcher should be either on top or on the bottom of the screens.
    Furthermore some status icons are on top and some are on the bottom?!

Gnome classic allows me to configure the top panel as I like it. But the window management is the same as in Unity ... crap. Scale and Expo are not combinable here too.

Cinnamon on the other hand has a very windows vista-y approach. I don't like the start menu and the overview mode looks very unprofessional. Also not global menubar

So my idea was to combine the best parts of these DEs
    * Take the launcher from Unity
    * Use Gnome Classic's panel with global appmenu and indicators
    * Take Gnome Shell's overview mode (invoke with hot corner or button in the gnome panel)

Unfortunately gnome-panel doesn't start up when gnome shell is running. The DEs seem to lock each other out - which makes sense ...

Is there a way to start gnome-panel without the "DE managing part", just as regular application?

Or is there any other way to combine the above mentioned features?

Hope someone of you can help

I'm using Ubuntu 12.04 btw.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Combine Gnome shell and Gnome classic features

I work with Gnome classic no effects in Ubuntu 12.04 and the only feature I'd like to add is the HUD. Appart from that, nothing else, happy as when I worked with Ubuntu 10.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

The link be of interest. It is easy to create a list of must have features but difficult to develop a desktop environment. http://linuxo.com/category/tags/gnome-shell-extensions
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans

You could try OpenBox
    It has a very highly customization feature
    https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Openbox

Beans
    Distro

I'd really like to work with Gnome Classic, but as said, I want a modern window manager. Taskbars are dead!

Today I managed to start the plain old gnome-panel in Gnome Shell. This gives a global menu and the notification indicators on top of gnome shell.
    I installed gnome shell extensions that hide the top bar and move the "show overview" hotcorner to the bottom left.

This works really greate so far, except for one time where gnome-panel crashed.

The last remaining wishes are:
    * Add a workspace switcher/pager to my second monitor
    * Add a shadow to the gnome panel (this can easily be done with compiz, but with mutter?

@Gosset Inofensiu: maybe you can launch gnome-panel above unity too. This could retain the unity dash and HUD functionality but hide the top panel. Then hide the launcher and you're fine

@sondraparkin: I did a quick google search and it seems that OpenBox doesn't support the features I want.

Beans

I'd just remove any foreign stuff, add the gnome 3 team ppa, clean install back to gnome-shell 3.4.1, and then trawl through https://extensions.gnome.org/ to set up your environment as you want. There are a stack of extensions there to add docks, switchers, menus, etc - i.e. add back gnome 2/traditional UI features. Surely you can find what you want?

Beans
    Distro

Perhaps you can start with something like Ubuntu GNOME Shell Remix and build your perfect Desktop from a GNOME Classic sesion?
    Personally, I've tried GNOME Shell, GNOME Classic & Cinnamon (Linux Mint) and neither fully convinces me... Switching to Scientific Linux and plain old and beautiful GNOME 2.
    Live long and prosper.
    And use lotsa Linux, BSD, and Emacs.

Beans
    Distro

Hi guys,

another cornerstone of my perfect ubuntu setup is ready: I managed to start the unity launcher inside gnome shell.

My setup now looks like this:

Bugs:
    * Sometimes the unity dash pops up when pressing the <super> key
    * ubuntu dash button still there
    * switch workspace button is still there

But I'm quite sure I'll fix the last remaining bugs to

Thanks for all your input so far.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Distro

Hmmm a little weird shuch combination no? And what about working with several windows opened alltogether, is it usable to work in this situation in your case?

Quote Originally Posted by mojo2012 View Post
    Hi guys,

another cornerstone of my perfect ubuntu setup is ready: I managed to start the unity launcher inside gnome shell.

My setup now looks like this:

Bugs:
    * Sometimes the unity dash pops up when pressing the <super> key
    * ubuntu dash button still there
    * switch workspace button is still there

But I'm quite sure I'll fix the last remaining bugs to

Thanks for all your input so far.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mojo2012 View Post
    I don't see the point. If you like the Unity launcher so much then may as well just run Unity. Use ccsm to assign scale view to top left hot corner which makes Unity more like gnome shell.

Such an unnatural environment like this will be very fragile and will break every second update, etc.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast