Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: "Report: Mac users guided to pricier hotels on Orbitz"

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: "Report: Mac users guided to pricier hotels on Orbitz"

Quote Originally Posted by Redblade20XX View Post
    It's the same principle with gas stations. They have two prices one for cash payments and one for credit payments. The credit price is usually a little more than the cash price because they know that the people who usually pay with credit don't really pay attention to price. Thus maximizing the gas companies profits.

-Red
    Wow, over here (Australia) there's nothing like that. You might get a small (~2%) surcharge if you use a more obscure credit card for payment because of their fees, but the price of the fuel itself is exactly the same, and the more common cards have no additional fee.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: "Report: Mac users guided to pricier hotels on Orbitz"

Quote Originally Posted by kurt18947 View Post
    Right, around 2.5-3% in the U.S. If the gas station takes a fraudulently used credit card, who pays? In retail, I believe the merchant eats it, not the bank. I don't know about about gas stations.
    Where I'm from in Indiana, there is only an extra credit card charge for diesel at the big truck gas stations. I haven't seen an extra charge for regular gas for cars in a long time.

In fact, the only places at all I've seen that has an extra credit card charge are small Mom & Pop stores or restaurants that don't make enough money to cover the payment costs. There is a family owned fast food joint in my town that just started taking credit cards about 2 years ago. Up until about 6 months ago, they charged a small fee to use them, but now they don't.

Also, about the fraudulent charges. Usually you dispute those charges with the credit card bank, and they eat the charges. They have insurance for all of that.
    Last edited by forrestcupp; June 27th, 2012 at 02:08 PM.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12