Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Dreaming is free: the System76 laptop of your dreams

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Dreaming is free: the System76 laptop of your dreams

Also, a tablet is not the same thing as an ultrabook. I'm rooting for the former.

Beans

The only thing that's keeping me from clicking the button on a Lemur RIGHT THIS SECOND is the lack of an eSATA port.

I've become addicted eSATA for my external boot drives and backups... I can barely imagine living without it now.

I may go for the Gazelle to get this feature, but I really want 14" or under so I'm looking at other options.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver

My custom System76 Lemur Ultra will be delivered to my home tomorrow by 01:00 PM EST in West Orange, New Jersey 07052. Here are the hardware and software specifications:

Lemur Ultra (lemu4) Modify Configuration $849.00 $849.00 Remove from Cart Quantity:

Base System Price $689.00
    Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64 bit
    5 Free GB of Ubuntu One Online Storage and Sync
    14.1" 720p High Definition LED Backlit Display ( 1366 x 768 )
    Intel HD Graphics 4000
    3rd Generation Intel Core i5-3210M Processor ( 2.50GHz 3MB L3 Cache - 2 Cores plus Hyperthreading )
    8 GB Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1600MHz - 2 X 4GB +$45.00
    128 GB Crucial M4 Series SATA III 6 Gb/s Solid State Disk Drive +$95.00
    8X DVD±R/RW/4X +DL Super-Multi Drive
    Intel Centrino Advanced-N 6235 - 802.11A/B/G/N Wireless LAN + Bluetooth Combo Module +$20.00
    No Bag
    1 Yr. Ltd. Warranty and 1 Yr. Technical Support
    No Canada Warranty Shipping Coverage
    No donation, thank you
    Sub Total: $849.00

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2010804

On Friday, July 6th, 2012, I will place my Amazon order for Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800 16.00 gigabytes of dual-channel DDR3 1,600 MHz SODIMM SDRAM:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

I will also purchase a second year warranty directly from System76 this Friday, July 6th, 2012 at 10:00 AM EST for $100.00 USD.

This will be one of the more expensive and powerful laptops that I have purchased in recent years. It is going to put me through a Masters of Arts in English Writing Studies degree program at Montclair State University starting in January 2013.

I think that I will be happy. I never purchased a System76 product or laptop, but I know a good computer when I see one.

This time, I wanted a thin and light laptop that would be easier for traveling with a longer battery life. I am done with desktop replacements. They are too big and heavy and the battery life is not that great. In fact, my custom System76 Lemur Ultra is going to be much more powerful and faster than my previous desktop replacement which was an ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC that died in less than 22 months.

I am going to suspend it to RAM every night when I go to sleep and I am not going to copy Blu-Ray or DVD-Video discs anymore. I am going to purchase a few music CDs per month and I will rip, encode, and compress them to .FLAC files, but that will be the maximum extent to which I will push the performance of my custom System76 Lemur Ultra. I plan to purchase about two used music CDs from Amazon per month or less. I use Spotify to listen to the latest mainstream popular music.

I also purchased Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium Service Pack 1. It will be delivered to my home this Friday, July 6th, 2012 by 01:00 PM EST.

I might decide to purchase Amazon Prime for $79.00 USD per year. I am a very frequent and heavy Amazon customer. I do a lot of business with Amazon every single month. I could benefit from free 2 day shipping and I do have an Amazon Kindle 3G + Wi-Fi device. I installed Amazon Kindle for PC using Codeweavers CrossOver for Linux 64 bit version 11.2.0 and I plan to install it again in Microsoft Windows 7 64 bit Home Premium Service Pack 1. I bought a lot of Amazon Kindle books so I do have a big library. I don't watch a lot of TV shows or movies frequently, but I would much rather to prefer to stream them on the Internet than to rent and copy them.

I am determined to baby my custom System76 Lemur Ultra with kid gloves. I will check my system monitor frequently and I will quit processes that tax my computer even remotely. It must put me through my masters degree program until December 31st, 2015.

I know that I have a powerful laptop. It is a lot more power than I actually need for my degree program. I could have made do with the basic System76 Lemur Ultra configuration, but I decided to spend extra money for the Crucial M4 128 GB SSD, Intel Centrino Advanced-N 802.11 B/G/N dual-band Wi-Fi and Bluetooth, and especially the Corsair Vengeance PC3-12800 16 GB dual-channel DDR3 SDRAM. I chose to stick with the Intel Core 3rd Generation "Ivy Bridge" i5-3210M dual-core 2.5 GHz with hyper threading CPU because I want at least 4 hours of battery life with Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit Long Term Support and Linux kernel 3.2.0-26 generic. I am expecting Ubuntu 12.10 64 bit with Linux kernel 3.4.4 stable to offer improved energy efficiency and better battery life.

It seems to me that every new Ubuntu release with a new Linux kernel improves energy efficiency and battery life by up to 10 percent or more. With my old ASUS N61JV-X2 notebook PC, Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit Long Term Support finally gave it 2 hours and 4 minutes of battery life for the first time.

My dream System76 laptop came true. I simply could not find a similar configuration for the same price or a lower price anywhere else and I do have a current Laptop Magazine subscription and I do visit http://www.notebookcheck.net and http://www.notebookreview.com every single day to read new reviews.

The Intel 3rd Generation "Ivy Bridge" Core i3, i5, and i7 CPUs feature the new tri-gate fins fabrication process, 22 nm die, and Intel Secure Key Technology also known as Bull Mountain. The Core i5 and i7 has AES New Instructions for up to 10 times faster AES processing speeds.

ZaReason still does not offer Intel 3rd Generation "Ivy Bridge" CPUs on their laptops as of today. System76 does.

It was expensive and I am going to pay for it over time, but I expect to be a happy and satisfied repeat System76 customer for the foreseeable future.

I heard so many rave reviews about System76 by current and previous owners that I simply could not ignore them. A lot of people had mostly good things to say about System76 especially their price to performance ratios for most of their products including laptops.

I am done with ASUSTek, Inc. They make good products, but their laptops use Nvidia Optimus technology which Nvidia Corporation does not officially support GNU/Linux environments. I had so many headaches trying to get the Bumblebee Project to work correctly. I bought the Humble Indie Bundle V for $8.00 USD and I could not play any of the PC games in Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit Long Term Support because of Nvidia Optimus.

Finally, I do not mind the Intel HD Graphics 4000. Not all of the advanced features like Intel Wi-Di are fully supported in GNU/Linux distributions as of today. The majority of my time will be spend doing academic research and creative writing. When I want to take a break from studying, I can stream a TV show, movie, or listen to streaming music online. The Intel HD Graphics 4000 makes low end and budget AMD Radeon and Nvidia GeForce GT GPUs obsolete and they consume more battery life and they are not well supported in GNU/Linux environments or at all whatsoever. The Intel HD Graphics 4000 is a pretty decent solution for multimedia consumers like myself. I am not producing HD content at all. It is fully supported in Ubuntu 12.04 64 bit Long Term Support. That is one less hassle to worry about every April and October of every year.

Beans

Talking Re: Dreaming is free: the System76 laptop of your dreams

I want a Clevo P150em

1080p matte 95% NTSC Color Gamut screen, i7-3610QM, GTX 670M or for compatibility reasons Radeon HD 7970M (I don't need that much of a graphics card but it is the only ATI available for that laptop), 8 gb of Ram expandable to 32, MSATA drive for the OS, 500 gb 7200 RPM hard drive for media, DVD burner, fingerprint reader, backlit keyboard, and intel wireless.
    Last edited by pgm_01; July 6th, 2012 at 09:49 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 19.10 Eoan Ermine

Quote Originally Posted by Penguissimo View Post
    I'm on completely the opposite end of the spectrum
    I'm with you.

I must have bought the last one because it disappeared off the web site very soon after I bought mine. Sorry about that, Penguissimo.

The only thing missing that I wanted was BluRay support. Maybe for my next one ...

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

When I bought my Pangolin P5 back in 2009, the Pangolin line was about perfect for me. My Pangolin doesn't need replacement quite yet, but I hope to buy a new laptop within a year or so, and I've been keeping an eye on the System76 laptop lineup. I was rather disappointed to see the Pangolin line go from a dedicated GPU to integrated graphics. (In fact, the entire System76 laptop lineup at the moment seems to use integrated graphics). I'd really like to see a mid-range laptop with dedicated graphics return to the System76 lineup.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by jwbrase View Post
    When I bought my Pangolin P5 back in 2009, the Pangolin line was about perfect for me. My Pangolin doesn't need replacement quite yet, but I hope to buy a new laptop within a year or so, and I've been keeping an eye on the System76 laptop lineup. I was rather disappointed to see the Pangolin line go from a dedicated GPU to integrated graphics. (In fact, the entire System76 laptop lineup at the moment seems to use integrated graphics). I'd really like to see a mid-range laptop with dedicated graphics return to the System76 lineup.
    Mid-range and dedicated graphics are no longer mutually inclusive goals. The integrated graphics just provide more bang than any mid-range discreet mobile cards available right now, for a much better price. If you want to do heavy gaming, you're going to want to go for high-end graphics anyway, and if you're not, then integrated graphics provide ample performance for just about everything else.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans

I would buy the Lemur right now if it had a 1600x900 matte screen upgrade.

Other than that:
    4 lbs or lighter
    12.5-13.3" screen
    No optical drive (or second hard drive option in optical bay)
    4.5-6 hours battery life

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

I already bought mine, but here are a few things to consider for the new Lemur Ultra.
    1. Option to have the DVD drive replaced with an extra battery. I've seen it done on laptops before, and it is kinda nice. Not much need for a DVD drive these days, anyway.
    OR...
    2. Option to have the DVD drive replaced with another drive (and have people choose if they want RAID 0 or 1 setup on it).
    OR...
    3. Have smaller hard drives amounts and the ability to have 2 extra hard drives where the DVD drive would normally be (and allow them to specify which RAID type they want). You might have to custom build drives for this, but nothing unique ever comes cheap the first time.
    4. Cheaper car charger. I'm not buying it now so I can afford this laptop.
    That's just my 2 cents. I would choose to get an extra battery built in. RAID isn't something I really care to mess with unless it's on a server-that's when it's needed (sometimes I play around with JBOD by using a ton of old drives from old PCs).
    Backups are amazing. 99% of data loss can be prevented by spending less than $100 on an external drive.
    If you have seen an error, there is a good chance someone else has, too. Google is your friend.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Welly Wu View Post
    ZaReason still does not offer Intel 3rd Generation "Ivy Bridge" CPUs on their laptops as of today. System76 does.
    I don't know if you missed it or ZaReason released/updated their line of laptops, but they do seem to offer one now:
    https://zareason.com/shop/UltraLap-430.html
    https://zareason.com/shop/Strata-7330.html

Also a tablet:
    https://zareason.com/shop/zatab.html

I must admit that UltraLap 430 looks quite appealing to me (I wished it would come with a DVD drive though...)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast