Thread: Kernel 3.5.0-1 and VirtualBox

Beans

Kernel 3.5.0-1 and VirtualBox

Installed xubuntu 12.10 from the daily build today. I couldn't get the 4.1.8 guest additions to build because it thinks the headers don't match the running kernel. I noticed there are two different linux-images installed, both the same except one says "extra". There are no "extra" headers but when I typed uname -r I get back the normal 3.5.0-1 kernel and not the "extra" one.

I managed to get things working by installing the 4.1.6 guest additions from the repo but it would be nice to have 4.1.8 running.
    "I've asked you a million times not to exaggerate!"
    iMac 3.4 GHz Intel Core i7 32GB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2048 MB

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Kernel 3.5.0-1 and VirtualBox

The "extra" package is not a separate variant of the kernel. It's a package that contains the majority of kernel modules (eg. including device drivers) that are required on a typical desktop PC.

Virtual machines, due to their limited and semi-standardised virtual hardware, don't require this "extra" package.

Note that quantal has done away with the "virtual" kernel flavour that was available in precise, due to the reasons explained above.
    Linux user since Slackware 3.4

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pressureman View Post
    The "extra" package is not a separate variant of the kernel. It's a package that contains the majority of kernel modules (eg. including device drivers) that are required on a typical desktop PC.

Virtual machines, due to their limited and semi-standardised virtual hardware, don't require this "extra" package.

Note that quantal has done away with the "virtual" kernel flavour that was available in precise, due to the reasons explained above.
    I thought as much but I don't understand why I can't install 4.1.8 guest additions yet the 4.1.6 additions from the repos install and work.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Did you install the guest additions from the hardware drivers area? I had to do that in 12.04, so maybe it works that way in 12.10.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Did you install the guest additions from the hardware drivers area? I had to do that in 12.04, so maybe it works that way in 12.10.
    actually I had no trouble installing the guest additions the "normal" way in any 12.04 guest. I've only run into one 12.04 spin that needed the additional driver enabled. not sure why.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by loukingjr View Post
    actually I had no trouble installing the guest additions the "normal" way in any 12.04 guest. I've only run into one 12.04 spin that needed the additional driver enabled. not sure why.
    Interesting. I don't think I've actually tried the guest additions from the ISO itself.

Thanks for that.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by CharlesA View Post
    Interesting. I don't think I've actually tried the guest additions from the ISO itself.

Thanks for that.
    you're welcome.