Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Unable to edit howto

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Unable to edit howto

I was in the middle of editing my howto and upon attempting to save a few minor changes, a box popped up stating that my post is now too old and can't be edited anymore. The option/button to edit the post has now disappeared completely. Is this a new 'feature' or a long-standing one? I'd like to keep the howto up-to-date without asking mods to make changes here and there.

Cheers
    Last edited by ubuntu-freak; June 25th, 2012 at 11:07 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Re: Unable to edit howto

Yes, we are only allowing edits to posts for 24 hours. This is a new policy.

You have two options.

#1 - I highly suggest you move your howto to the Ubuntu wiki. There is a script to automate the process (converts forms posts to wiki syntax).

http://bodhizazen.net/tweaks/ubforums2ubwiki.sh.txt

wiki has a number of advantages

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1949027

#2 Would be to ask a staff member to edit your post.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    Seems a bit odd for stickies. Ubuntu changes, packages change, etc, so howtos will need updating.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Well, time to update a couple of wikis again.

@ubuntu-freak:

Don't be intimidated. It's really not at all difficult, since you have the example of wikis already written, or ones you might add to.
    Last edited by QIII; June 26th, 2012 at 12:43 AM.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu Development Release

Staff will help maintain stickies .

Sorry for the inconvenience, but, people abuse the privilege, and there is no per-user setting.
    There are two mistakes one can make along the road to truth...not going all the way, and not starting.
    --Prince Gautama Siddharta

#ubuntuforums web interface

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Well, time to update a couple of wikis again.

@ubuntu-freak:

Don't be intimidated. It's really not at all difficult, since you have the example of wikis already written, or ones you might add to.
    I don't think my howto can be a wiki, as it contains opinion and not just troubleshooting tips and tricks. Plus the fact wiki implies others will be making changes to it.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

You'll have to edit the opinion and stick to the facts. Just how it is.

The edits to wikis I've already made have been simple and straightforward chunks from advice/how to in my posts -- sans the smart remarks.

And yes. Others will edit. That's the point. Thus, the "benefits" referred to.
    Please read The Forum Rules and The Forum Posting Guidelines

A thing discovered and kept to oneself must be discovered time and again by others. A thing discovered and shared with others need be discovered only the once.
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    You'll have to edit the opinion and stick to the facts. Just how it is.

The edits to wikis I've already made have been simple and straightforward chunks from advice/how to in my posts -- sans the smart remarks.

And yes. Others will edit. That's the point. Thus, the "benefits" referred to.
    I don't have to "edit the opinion" as I'm not turning it into a wiki, I'm happy with keeping it in the forum. People changing my howto would be a pain, not a benefit anyway. Didn't come here for a debate and I've already received an answer from a staff member regarding my original query, ta.

Beans

This is stupid.

I posted yesterday and got time to come back and edit my post about a program I wrote and now I can't edit it.

You need to explain what people were doing that is so amazingly bad that you had to do this.

Here's what you are now going to get:

I will have to post the extra stuff on the next post below my first, thanks for making it difficult for whoever wants to use my program.

If I want to update my program file I will have to post another one and I can't mention it at the top and have to HOPE that people scroll down and see the new revision.

Or in the alternative, I will just post another post about the same thing but updated and make the subject like say V1.2 then V1.3 etc...

I don't like the wiki and you can't force me to use it and you need a different login and it doesn't work very good anyway.

THANKS!!!! (and WTF are you thinking????)

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by bodhi.zazen View Post
    I can see edits to posts but, not How tos, they need occasionally updating and at the time I got shut out of my How to, I had a couple of errors I was trying to fix.
    It is impossible to have an admin make the changes as they have to be previewed first to see if they are right.
    I am not going to make a wiki out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by fixitdude View Post
    This is stupid.
    I totally agree - this is stupid! We were helping people but, not any more.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast