Thread: snmpd w/ openssl support....?

Beans

snmpd w/ openssl support....?

Hi all,

Setting up a SNMP-enabled tier for work and trying to get SNMPv3 working with some proper authentication/encryption so that digital passer-bys aren't scraping our vital signs and probing our networks...

I've followed the guide over yonder: http://wmunguiam.blogspot.com/2009/0...v3-ubuntu.html - Great guide on the subject of SNMPv3 and correctly setting up users!

HOWEVER! My real problem lies in the Ubuntu repo-provided snmpd. I want DES/AES encryption in addition to the standard SHA/MD5 authentication, but for that to work, snmpd needs to be compiled with openssl support; apparently the Ubuntu version isn't!

I'd have no problem recompiling from source on my own machines, but in a server environment I'd really prefer to use a repo so that upgrades are seamless and painless when things like libc6 or openssl sees upgrades...

Anybody have any input without going as far as managing my own repo...?

Just to data, you can see that there is no openssl support in my snmpd *server*, but my snmp *client* at least depends on it:
    Code:
    $ lsb_release -a 2> /dev/null | grep Release
    Release:    12.04

$ dpkg -s snmpd | grep '^Original\|Maintainer\|Version\|Depends'
    Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
    Version: 5.4.3~dfsg-2.4ubuntu1.1
    Depends: libc6 (>= 2.15), libsnmp15 (>= 5.4.3~dfsg), libwrap0 (>= 7.6-4~), debconf (>= 0.5) | debconf-2.0, adduser, debconf, lsb-base (>= 3.2-13)
    Original-Maintainer: Net-SNMP Packaging Team <pkg-net-snmp-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>

$ dpkg -s snmp | grep '^Original\|Maintainer\|Version\|Depends'
    Maintainer: Ubuntu Developers <ubuntu-devel-discuss@lists.ubuntu.com>
    Version: 5.4.3~dfsg-2.4ubuntu1.1
    Depends: libc6 (>= 2.14), libsnmp15 (>= 5.4.3~dfsg), libssl1.0.0 (>= 1.0.0)
    Original-Maintainer: Net-SNMP Packaging Team <pkg-net-snmp-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org>

Beans

Re: snmpd w/ openssl support....?

ala *bump*;

Anybody..?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Set up a PPA on launchpad. It works like your own Ubuntu repository!

https://login.launchpad.net/+new_account
    Please mark completed threads as [SOLVED], which lets us find solutions faster!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Openssl should be supported from the get-go. I see that '--with-openssl' is passed to .configure by debian/rules during the compilation of snmpd.
    Please mark completed threads as [SOLVED], which lets us find solutions faster!