Thread: Installation CD to USB

Installation CD to USB

Hi,

I have a burned CD with Ubuntu 12.04 image. However I want to install this on a pc without cd reader. My broadband is terrible so I am trying to circumvent downloading the iso again. Is there a way to use the LiveCD to get a USB installation image going? Maybe by recreating the iso from the cd and putting it on a usb? Would this work?

Paulo

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Installation CD to USB

from a terminal log into the cdrom drive and type the following:

Code:
    mkisofs -R -J -o /home/ubuntu.iso .
    point ubuntu.iso from the usb-creator gui.

Another way is to use the dd command(which is a bit dangerous if you make a mistake):

Code:
    dd if=/dev/cdrom of=ubuntu.iso
    go here for further examples.
    Last edited by VMC; June 25th, 2012 at 09:26 PM.
    boot_info_script | AMD64 Athlon X2 Dual-Core - nVidia Geforce 6150 SE - 4GB DDR3

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Installation CD to USB

Boot the CD to a live system on a computer that had a CD/DVD player, where you have access to the install iso file. From that use Startup Disk Creator to create a bootable install system on something with USB flash (memory stick or card reader) with regular FAT or FAT32 file system. If you format it with Startup Disk Creator, just remember to format the "partition" (ending with a number) on the device, and not the entire device (without a number).

In a USB memory card reader that will even work with SD or microSD. However, that will not work with some laptops where there memory card slot is NOT internally USB connected. Most desktops with memory card slots are internally USB connected, as is my tablet PC which can boot an installed Linux system from large enough SDHC.

1 GB or more should work for bootable install iso on USB, but 8 GB minimum is recommended for full install to USB.
    i5 650 3.2 GHz, 8 GB, nvidia GTX 550 Ti 32" 1080p | i7-4700, 8 GB, Intel HD 4600/nvidia GTX 765M 15.6" 1080p | etc.