Thread: Lost control of mouse in 11.10/Gnome3/Nvidia

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Lost control of mouse in 11.10/Gnome3/Nvidia

I have a user that booted up this morning and got a strange looking mouse pointer that flashes across the screen in 3 places when it moves. Can't actuate any Gnome Shell 3 menus in the top 1/3 of the screen. Right click brings up the desktop context menu at most 2/3 of the way up the screen.

We've tried undocking, removing all other USB, touchpad, another mouse, all no difference. User is communicating remotely through Windows dual-boot but needs Ubuntu so this is going to be a tough debug. Thankfully there is a dual boot to a working O/S.

System info: Dell e6520, 11.10, Ubuntu-provided Nvidia drivers, Gnome Shell 3. Everything works under Windows 7.
    Last edited by hangfire; June 25th, 2012 at 01:58 PM.
    ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 +AMD 550BE Quad@3.4GHz
    2x4GB G.Skill DDR3/1666
    EVGA 9800GT (because AMD drivers blow)
    Gentoo

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Lost control of mouse in 11.10/Gnome3/Nvidia

i've had same issue but with Quantal testing only, so is this system using some unstable packages from ppa ? In such case purge them (ppa-purge .....)

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by dino99 View Post
    i've had same issue but with Quantal testing only, so is this system using some unstable packages from ppa ? In such case purge them (ppa-purge .....)
    Thanks dino. There was not much in the way of custom PPA's except for touchpad-indicator, which was installed but not active.

We tried switching to nouveau but apparently this laptop chipset (Optimus, turned off sharing in BIOS) is not supported. nv didn't work either. VESA worked. Stepping down from 1920x1200 to 1024x768 is not very practicable, though, but it proved the situation was video driver related.

We ended up using the command line upgrade to 12.04 and then installed the Ubuntu provided Nvidia proprietary drivers, which works. For now.

It's nice to know that Ubuntu is keeping up their grand tradition of pooching our systems once a year. I suspect having the combination of Gnome 3/Nvidia proprietary puts us a little too far off Canonical's testing plan. I may start pushing Mint for Gnome users.

HF
    2x4GB G.Skill DDR3/1666
    Gentoo

Beans
    Distro

Now its happening to me under 12.04. Tried everything, booting undocks, all USB removed, etc. May have to move this system to another Distro.
    2x4GB G.Skill DDR3/1666
    Gentoo