Thread: Unable to set Gateway address

Beans

Unable to set Gateway address

I am evaluating Ubuntu 9.04 in a corporate network and IP addresses are static, there is no DHCP server for the section I work in. Using the Ubuntu 9.04 live cd I am unable to get my manual IP connection working properly. The problem lies with setting my gateway address. The network applet keeps resetting the gateway address to 0.0.0.0. How can I resolve this issue?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

Re: Unable to set Gateway address

Quote Originally Posted by envegnomed View Post
    I am evaluating Ubuntu 9.04 in a corporate network and IP addresses are static, there is no DHCP server for the section I work in. Using the Ubuntu 9.04 live cd I am unable to get my manual IP connection working properly. The problem lies with setting my gateway address. The network applet keeps resetting the gateway address to 0.0.0.0. How can I resolve this issue?
    Code:
    route add default gw 10.1.1.1 eth0
    Change IP and interface to suit

Beans

I have the same problem. 10.04. I set the gateway in the GUI, but it doesn't keep, and doesn't work. If I open the GUI again, all the other settings are saved, but the gateway goes back to 0.0.0.0. If I set via 'route add default gw 10.1.1.1 eth0' it works while the server is up, but on reboot the gateway is lost and set back to 0.0.0.0

Beans

There was no eth1 section in /etc/network/interfaces even though the IP was stored properly after a reboot. In any case I added this after the loopback address:

auto eth1
    iface eth1 inet static
    address 172.16.11.40
    netmask 255.255.255.0
    gateway 172.16.11.1

(Obviously in my reply above I was actually doing 'route add default gw 172.16.11.1 eth1' for my own purposes... but that did not persist.)