Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: A note regarding PPA's...

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Re: A note regarding PPA's...

Hi!, josephmills,

Thanks for your Post about 'apt-cache' options, I presume it was directed towards my query about how to find out what is available from a 'ppa'.

I was aware of those options from 'man apt-cache', but I cannot see the relevance.

What I was after was how to know what 'ppa' would provide a package that I was searching for, or what packages - especially version numbers - a specific 'ppa' would provide. Not details of what packages were already available from the cache.

@sgage, What I am looking at is the Synaptic display, with "nvidia"in the 'Quick Filter' box, the 'nvidia-settings' entry highlighted, and I have clicked on 'Origin'. The result is the lefthand sub-window shows a list of all the 'ppa's in my 'sources' list, but none of them are highlighted, so what...... ?????

Thanks for your response. I can only repeat that I find Synaptic obscure and impenetrable.

For instance I am using nvidia 295.53 and 295.59 but though Synaptic lists nvidia-settings 295.53, neither of the drivers are listed, and the nvidia-current listed is the notorious bugged version, 295.40; which apt-get cache policy also lists as 'Candidate'.

I presume they are not listed because they were not installed with dpkg or apt-get, but that is only a guess.

I would like to know -[Edit: - how to find out -] - whether either 295.53 or 295.59 versions are available from the 'ppa's, and if so , how to get them installed. I am not prepared to find out by using apt-get install, without knowing which version will be supplied, from previous disastrous experiences of the bugged version.

Chao!, bogan.
    Last edited by bogan; June 27th, 2012 at 08:28 PM. Reason: note added
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    For instance I am using nvidia 295.53 and 295.59 but though Synaptic lists nvidia-settings 295.53, neither of the drivers are listed,
    How can you be "using" two different versions of the nvidia driver?

All the package managers (synaptic, apt-get, aptitude, software center, etc) use the apt packages database. If you install random files/scripts outside of the package system (e.g. by running a downloaded nvidia script) then how do you expect the package managers to know about this?

Don't stray outside the package system, especially if you are inexperienced. If you really want/need bleeding edge stuff, then perhaps add a ppa. E.g. for very latest nvidia driver add xorg-edgers ppa then update. At least then you will see all the correct installed and other versions in synaptic.

To check the version first before you install them then just check synaptic after the update but before doing the install. Remove/disable the ppa if you don't like the version. Of just go to the ppa launchpad site and check the versions directly before you do anything (filter by your ubuntu release).

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by bogan View Post
    I would like to know -[Edit: - how to find out -] - whether either 295.53 or 295.59 versions are available from the 'ppa's, and if so , how to get them installed. I am not prepared to find out by using apt-get install, without knowing which version will be supplied, from previous disastrous experiences of the bugged version.
    In general, you could try apt-get install -s package-name. This does a simulation listing to the screen and doesn't need sudo because nothing is being installed.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Hi!, vasa1,

Thanks for your helpful response - at least it is helpful when I already know what the package name is, unfortunately, the nvidia driver seems to come with an infinitely variable package name.

The copy of Synaptic I am looking at lists 13 variations, and that does not include four others that I use or have used recently.

I ran:
    Code:
    apt-get install -s nvidia-current
    and it returns the same bugged version 295.40.

@markbl, thanks for your response; you Posted:
    How can you be "using" two different versions of the nvidia driver?
    I have two desktops that each have two 12.04 installations, one updated from earlier versions, the other clean installs. I also have 10.04 on one and 11.10 on the other, whilst two Usb installations have 11.10 and 12.04LTS.

So I could - if I so wished - be "using" eight different nvidia drivers except that one does not use nvidia at all, but the default Nouveau.
    If you install random files/scripts outside of the package system (e.g. by running a downloaded nvidia script) then how do you expect the package managers to know about this?
    I do not know enough about the 'package system' to have any expectations of it, but I assumed the database of installed items would be updated by the "random" nvidia-installer.
    To check the version first before you install them then just check synaptic after the update but before doing the install. Remove/disable the ppa if you don't like the version.
    This assumes that I already know what 'ppa' to add to the sources list and what the package name is.
    You seem to have missed the whole point of my query, which is: " How do I find out how to determine If, and where, a suitable [driver] package is obtainable?, and if so what its package name is".
    Of[sic] just go to the ppa launchpad site and check the versions directly before you do anything (filter by your ubuntu release).
    If you would explain in detail how I can do that, you would indeed be answering my query.

I have exhausted my imagination in attempting to do so, but only get 'Server not found' or 'Not available at 'xxxxx' messages'.

Chao!, bogan.
    "Better Solutions may bring Worsened Problems": After Lao Tse, b. circa 405BC. a contemporary of Confucius, who died circa 600BC.
    They did things differently in those days, apparently!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12