Thread: No Hibernate Feature on 12.04

Beans
    Hidden!

No Hibernate Feature on 12.04

I'm a little upset that Ubuntu 12.04 doesn't have a hibernate feature. Don't know how other users feel about this, but if enough people complain developers will do something. Aside from that some of the shortcuts changed from 11.10, e.g., now you have press super+ctrl+down arrow to minimize a window instead alt+F9.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Re: No Hibernate Feature on 12.04

Quote Originally Posted by fiatveritas View Post
    I'm a little upset that Ubuntu 12.04 doesn't have a hibernate feature. Don't know how other users feel about this, but if enough people complain developers will do something. Aside from that some of the shortcuts changed from 11.10, e.g., now you have press super+ctrl+down arrow to minimize a window instead alt+F9.
    Though I don't use hibernate myself very often there is an article here on how to enable that feature:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/94754...ation-in-12-04
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Ubuntu 15.04 /14.04

Beans
    Hidden!

It's good that we can re-enable hibernate, but I wonder why it was disabled. It's a really useful feature, especially, when you have use Windows on those rare occasions. I usually have my hardrive save my current session from RAM with hibernate, so I can do some processing with Windows before going back to what I was doing in Linux.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.04 Vivid Vervet

Quote Originally Posted by fiatveritas View Post
    It's good that we can re-enable hibernate, but I wonder why it was disabled. It's a really useful feature, especially, when you have use Windows on those rare occasions. I usually have my hardrive save my current session from RAM with hibernate, so I can do some processing with Windows before going back to what I was doing in Linux.
    here a page with the bug report and rational for it's being disabled.
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...es/+bug/812394
    Wireless script
    Dave
    Registered Linux User #462608
    Ubuntu 15.04 /14.04

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

If enough hardware companies start noticing Linux and actually provide decent support for it, then we wouldn't be worrying if hibernate works on a specific setup. Hibernation only works with some certain setups and doesn't on others, so disabling it is a good choice.

Beans
    Hidden!

So the Ubuntu documentation did a great at explaining in how re-enable the hibernate feature on my netbook. The only issue I had with the instruction is that, perhaps, someone new to Ubuntu won't be able to re-enable hibernate. Luckily enough, I knew how to navigate through directories and make the file that I needed to re-enable hibernate, but maybe a beginner may find the task as esoteric. Maybe I'm underestimating my fellow newbies.
    Last edited by fiatveritas; October 9th, 2012 at 08:47 PM. Reason: SOLVED