Thread: Desktop Development for Beginners

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Desktop Development for Beginners

Hi,

Would anyone be able to suggest how to get started with Desktop Application Development. I have done some PHP & MySQL, and a small about of Visual Basic, and a tiny amount of C, and Java.

I have looked at GTK, but much of the documentation seems out of date.

Any help much appreciated.

Beans

Re: Desktop Development for Beginners

I would strongly recommend you try Qt. The Qt Creator provides an IDE interface similar to Visual Basic, but the underlying code is C++. I think the IDE would be familiar to you and the C++ syntax isn't all that different from PHP and Java. The Qt Creator package is in the Ubuntu repositories and it will install all the dependencies and compilers, etc for you.

Beans
    Distro

Very many thanks for this. I will take a look. Do you think QT will be safe if Microsoft ends up buying Nokia?

I also saw this when I was browsing the Ubuntu site:

http://developer.ubuntu.com/get-star...ckly-workflow/

Do you think it is worth learning Python?

Thanks

Peter Jones

Beans

Yes, Qt will be safe, regardless of what happens to Nokia. Should Qt be threatened then the KDE group gets control of it by default. Microsoft can't do anything to hurt Qt.

I suppose if you want to learn Phython for the sake of learning it, then go ahead. But I wouldn't want to have to do anything with Phyton that required stability or complexity. It tends to be really slow and prone to crashing.

Beans

@jonesyp I am making a series of Youtube videos on getting started with Quickly. If you're interested, I'll post a link once I've made a couple more in the series.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by thnewguy View Post
    I suppose if you want to learn Phython for the sake of learning it, then go ahead. But I wouldn't want to have to do anything with Phyton that required stability or complexity. It tends to be really slow and prone to crashing.
    erm. When you did last try python? I've never had it crash on me (ever!), and it's been pretty nippy (to the tune of one and a half times as slow as a compiled language). And as for complexity: I can't see anything python can't do that language X can. With the exception of compiling.

Oh, btw, "python".

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

+1 with all the QT stuff. It is easy to use. And who cares who *is* going to buy it. If it get the job done right.

Here is a list of some programs that are made with QT/QML

http://qt-apps.org/index.php?xsortmo...97ee50a8de520f

Here is some great tutorials
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KtOz...1942A4688E9D63

there are many many other's.

Hope that this helps.

ps QT is Lgpl
    Power tends to corrupt, and absolute power corrupts absolutely. Great men are almost always bad men, even when they exercise influence and not authority

Beans
    Distro

Many thanks for the replies. I am going to give Python a go. Micro Mart Magazine in the UK starts a tutorial this week.

Best wishes

Peter Jones

Beans

Exclamation Re: Desktop Development for Beginners

Quote Originally Posted by thnewguy View Post
    I would strongly recommend you try Qt. The Qt Creator provides an IDE interface similar to Visual Basic, but the underlying code is C++. I think the IDE would be familiar to you and the C++ syntax isn't all that different from PHP and Java. The Qt Creator package is in the Ubuntu repositories and it will install all the dependencies and compilers, etc for you.
    ya thats true.. but qt does not support integrating multiple projects to form a single solution as we can do in visual studio.. "or am i missing it somewhere ????"

if there is a way to do so, pls update it.. else i've to figure out something else to continue with my work.