Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How to manage wallpapers with Appearance

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

How to manage wallpapers with Appearance

Hello !

I just installed Precise Pangolin with the Unity deskop environment and I have some difficulty with the Unity-flavored Appearance utility to manage wallpapers.

In Appearance, the drop-down list lets me select Wallpapers or Pictures Folder (or Colors & Gradients as a matter of fact). But when I'm in Wallpapers or Picture Folder and I click the + button to add my wallpapers to the list, they are added but are not there anymore next time I launch Appearance. It seems that Pictures Folder keeps only images that are in the root of the ~/Pictures folder, and Wallpapers those images that are in /usr/share/backgrounds.

I would like to know how to keep in the Appearance menu those wallpapers that are in some customized location on my disk, which worked perfectly in gnome-panel.

Has someone an idea ?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: How to manage wallpapers with Appearance

Alt + F2
    Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    Move the images into usr/share/backgrounds and they will appear as the default wallpapers do. Add the images one by one . If you drag an entire folder to that location they wont appear.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; June 23rd, 2012 at 08:46 PM.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro

Hi,

thank you for the answer, but on my computer it does not work, even when I copy an image in /usr/share/backgrounds one at a time. Is there an additional constraint (size, type, ...) to satisfy for the image to be listed in the Wallpapers section of Appearance ?

By the way, and it is only my opinion, the Appearance utility has taken a step backward from what it was in gnome-panel. It is not very handy if you have to put your wallpapers only in the root of ~/Pictures for them to be listed in Appearance.

Of course I'm still able to use the wallpaper of my choice by right-cliking to the deskop and choose Change Desktop Background, but...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

It isn't working for me on 12.04 either . I wrongly assumed it would because had added wallpapers to the folder on previous versions . I don't know if there is a size requirement but the default wallpapers are 1920x1280. The change in appearance preferences is a Gnome 3 change not a Ubuntu change.
    Last edited by Frogs Hair; June 25th, 2012 at 01:39 AM.
    Infinite diversity in infinite combination.

Ubuntu Documentation Search: Popular Pages
    Ubuntu: Security Basics
    Ubuntu: Manual

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

I heard you must also add the wallpaper's entry into some .xml file. I'll look it up.
    EDIT: Oh yes, it's /usr/share/gnome-background-properties/precise-wallpapers.xml. You must add an entry into that file if you want your wallpaper to show up in Appearance.
    Last edited by zombifier25; June 25th, 2012 at 04:10 AM.

Beans
    Distro

Ok I find I understand. It is not about the location of the wallpapers, it is about what is referenced in the /usr/share/gnome-background-properties/precise-wallpapers.xml file. I think there is just a bug because this file was probably meant to be updated not manually but by the + and - buttons in the Appearance utility.

I'm going to test it tonight (European time).

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by zombifier25 View Post
    EDIT: Oh yes, it's /usr/share/gnome-background-properties/precise-wallpapers.xml. You must add an entry into that file if you want your wallpaper to show up in Appearance.
    Yes, I confirm it works. Your wallpapers display well in the Wallpapers section of Appearance if you manually edit this XML file instead of using the + and - buttons of the graphical interface.

Thank you all for your help !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Now that's inconvenient. (Why did they do that? What was wrong with just dropping the files on the right folder?) Is there any utility that will scan the directory with the backgrounds in it and add them to that XML file?

I want my backgrounds to be available system wide. I understand this is the right way to make it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

Quote Originally Posted by AleveSicofante View Post
    Now that's inconvenient. (Why did they do that? What was wrong with just dropping the files on the right folder?) Is there any utility that will scan the directory with the backgrounds in it and add them to that XML file?

I want my backgrounds to be available system wide. I understand this is the right way to make it.
    Blame the GNOME devs. They have been removing functionality as of late. Maybe someone can write such an utility.

Beans

Come on, this is absolutely ridiculous! I have something like 80 wallpapers that I want to add to the Appearance selection and now I am supposed to manually edit a XML file and add a seperate section for each and every picture!? Talk about just plain wrong!
    Nothing beats the durability and quality of the Thinkpad put together with the brilliance and stability of Ubuntu Linux!

Thinkpad T30, T40, T41p, T42, T43, T60, T61, R50, R61, Z61M, X31 ... all love Ubuntu!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast