Thread: Photoshop linux (Minimum CS5)

Beans

Photoshop linux (Minimum CS5)

I know there's gimp but sadly I have to use photoshop for work, and we're switching everything over to Linux... Which is a good thing.

Here's the specs of our machines.

ASUS Z9PE-D8 WS
    2x Intel Xeon E5-2687W 8-core
    64GB DDR3 1600 MHZ ram
    1x OCZ 256GB SSD (Boot drive)
    5x HGST Ultrastar 4TB HDDs
    2 Nvidia Geforce GTX 690s running in SLI (we chose Nvidia because of it's Linux support, but I've heard version 3X of the drivers are having 3D acceleration problems)
    1600 Wat PSU

Certainly over powered but we're using more than just photoshop we're using many autodesk products like 3DS Max, Maya, Mudbox and we're also using Zbrush.

I know Wine isn't the only answer to installing windows programs, I've heard about Playonlinux but it only goes up to CS4 we need to be running at least CS5 but in the coming months within the next year we need to be up and running with CS6.

From winehq it seems debian systems have the best of luck when running windows programs, basically we're going to use what runs our needed software be it a debian system, arch linux.

I personally like gimp since 2.8 it's very photoshop like but the algorithms for blur, render clouds, etc aren't even in the same playing field as Photoshop. They'll get it right some day.

I've seen videos on Youtube for installing CS5 and CS6, however it's the weekend so I thought I'd try and get some answers.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: Photoshop linux (Minimum CS5)

You could run a virtual machine with windows on your new linux, and install CS there.

Beans

Uhmm ... why not stay on Windows? Sounds like the best os for CS5, 3DS Max, Maya, Mudbox and Zbrush.

Beans

Maya and mudbox are available for 64-bit Linux, Zbrush isn't but we're okay with that.
    I'm sure we can find a linux equivelent to zbrush.

Okay somebody got CS6 on ubuntu.
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/roberto...la/7293611218/

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkoon View Post
    You could run a virtual machine with windows on your new linux, and install CS there.
    Actually that's what I do with 8Gb in my RAM and works nicely.

Beans

I use photoshop 5.5 with wine and it works same as in windows. Tried cs once in windows didn't see any improvement from 5.5 for what i use it for so haven't messed with it since. I did install it on 11.04 for the trial version , and that installed ok. Was also able to load some 3rd party filters also in 11.04.

Hopes it helps a little,

Beans

Seems Photoshop doesn't install well that's a known issue, install on windows first than copy it over.

I'll probably do a mix of Gimp and Photoshop, does gimp support CMYK yet?

Beans
    Distro

Compared the cost you payed for all your softwares, why not pay a bit more for your OS.($120 compared to $3,500 for just Maya or 3Ds Max alone, plug-ins not included.)

Put the right man on the right job, that's always true.

But if you're using Blender, Inkscape, GIMP a lot, I would recommend you to use Ubuntu. From my experiences, Ubuntu/Linux is the only way you can run Inkscape and GIMP as fast and stable as it could. For Blender, it's cool everywhere.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Last week, way after a month of its release, I installed GIMP 2.8 in windows and works fine.

I would have liked to install it in Debian but the repositories (not even those for Ubuntu 12) aren't updated for the last version. When trying to compile from source I had to stop midway because it has far too many dependencies to install.
    Last edited by gakon77; June 24th, 2012 at 12:23 PM.

Beans
    Distro

On Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, open terminal then ctrl+c, ctrl+shift+v

Code:
    sudo add-apt-repository ppa:otto-kesselgulasch/gimp
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install gimp
    sudo apt-get install gimp-plugin-registry
    This should work. I'm using GIMP 2.8 both on Windows 7 64-bit and Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64-bit. Its (unofficial)Windows version is terrible slow.