Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu Software Center not working

Beans

Ubuntu Software Center not working

Hey guys, I've been using Ubuntu for about a year now and I have never had this problem. I just installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on my Dell Inspiron Duo 1090. I was installing some basic software the I commonly use from the Software Center. The last program that I tried to install was Dropbox. For some reason, even after restarting, the software center is stuck "Searching Applying Changes".

I tried uninstalling and reinstalling via terminal. No such luck. Any advice guys?

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Re: Ubuntu Software Center not working

have u tried to run software-center from the terminal? do u get any error messages? open terminal and type:
    Code:
    software-center
    see if u get any errors about connections in the terminal...
    I am # 34550 and # 547844

Beans

softwarecenter.ui.gtk3.app - INFO - setting up proxy 'None'
    2012-06-23 11:18:39,865 - softwarecenter.db.database - INFO - open() database: path=None use_axi=True use_agent=True
    2012-06-23 11:18:41,219 - softwarecenter.backend.reviews - WARNING - Could not get usefulness from server, no username in config file
    2012-06-23 11:18:43,772 - softwarecenter.db.pkginfo_impl.aptcache - INFO - aptcache.open()
    /usr/share/software-center/softwarecenter/db/pkginfo_impl/aptcache.py:41: Warning: value "101.000000" of type `gdouble' is invalid or out of range for property `value' of type `gint'
    context.iteration()
    2012-06-23 11:18:56,900 - softwarecenter.ui.gtk3.app - INFO - software-center-agent finished with status 0
    2012-06-23 11:18:56,901 - softwarecenter.db.database - INFO - reopen() database
    2012-06-23 11:18:56,902 - softwarecenter.db.database - INFO - open() database: path=None use_axi=True use_agent=True

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

why don't u reinstall software center then...
    in the terminal, type line by line the following codes:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get remove software-center
    sudo apt-get install software-center
    Try to see if that helps....

Beans

E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (11: Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

It gave me that when I ran the remove code

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

it means that either you are running software center currently or some update is being run on background(update manager) or maybe synaptic package manager.... Try finishing the background updates first and then run the command again...

Beans

It's letting me run a partial upgrade. I'm guessing that dropbox never finished installing for some reason. Should I just run sudo apt-get remove dropbox

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

give it a try.. worth it... i assume it might be the problem...

Beans

It says:
    E: Could not get lock /var/lib/dpkg/lock - open (ll: Resource temporarily unavailable)
    E: Unable to lock the administration directory (/var/lib/dpkg/), is another process using it?

I restarted the computer before doing this so I assumed that the Software Center wouldn't be running? It seems like i'm stuck here. I've never had this problem in Ubuntu before

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Try to see if there is any process running thats related to software-center. Open System Monitor, under the Processes tab, search for software-center. Kill the process, and then try to reinstall software center... this is the first time im seeing such problem with the distro

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast