Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: A almost hard lock in Ubuntu 12.04.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: A almost hard lock in Ubuntu 12.04.

Quote Originally Posted by ortermagic View Post
    Thanks for the input Red...I have a reasonably competent graphics card (i think), it's a sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1gb 256 bit. At the moment I am using the open source driver, because the proprietary one does not work properly on my system. Today I stripped the graphics card down and reseated the processor on it, I have just got it running again, It seems to be a totally random lockup sometimes it occurs when there is very little load at other times it might happen when i've got a lot going on? I will have to wait till it happens again.I will also have to study all the previous posts again, in case I missed something.
    I will get conky working when I have more time and apply @Blortugas suggestion to install sysstat, asap

Check how it works in Windows(hope you are dual booting windows) with the driver installed from the site..This way it confirms whether it is the graphics card which is creating the problem.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Hi I am back ...problem with lockup persists, most recently I applied Irv's technique to shut down after lockup whilst watching a streamed football match, when I entered my sudo id details it locked and presented me with the following information...

[13924.224114] radeon 0000:01:00.0: gpu lockup cp stall for more than 10020 m sec

Does that mean anything to any one?
    Prior to this instance I haven't had too many lockups in the last few days.
    Many PC's today have diagnostic utility built in. When you first boot your PC there might be a key combo you can press to go into diagnostic mode. When I start having lockups I ran a check on my system and all my hardware checked OK.
    Also I would remove the graphic card and blow out the slot, clean the contacts and reseat the card.

Just one quick update on my lockup. It's been over 2 weeks now so I am thinking what ever my problem was it seems to have gone away. Have done a kernel update so maybe that was the problem.
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Thanks for the input Red...I have a reasonably competent graphics card (i think), it's a sapphire Radeon HD 6870 1gb 256 bit. At the moment I am using the open source driver, because the proprietary one does not work properly on my system. Today I stripped the graphics card down and reseated the processor on it, I have just got it running again, It seems to be a totally random lockup sometimes it occurs when there is very little load at other times it might happen when i've got a lot going on? I will have to wait till it happens again.I will also have to study all the previous posts again, in case I missed something.
    I will get conky working when I have more time and apply @Blortugas suggestion to install sysstat, asap
    Believe it or not, graphics cards can crap out! I had that happen on the video card that came on my grandson's HP Pavilion, of course after the warranty expired. Replaced it with a new Nvida card. Quite a few years ago when building my older computer, the graphics card that I bought had a capacitor fall off as I picked it up! You know what happens. This is why I suggested borrowing someone else's graphic card and trying it out if possible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I did disassemble my graphics card, clean it up and re-seat it.
    I'm now waiting to see if it's still gonna be a problem. In the meantime I have to get some sort of conky going. I am also giving amdcccle another go in case it's a driver related thing.
    The graphics card looked dusty, but fairly healthy(no blown caps or scorch marks).
    I will continue to investigate this strange phenomenon !

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I think this is going to be my last post here seeing it been about 3 weeks + since my last lockup. Everything is really running great now.
    Running great.jpg
    Information on my Main laptop. Information on my small laptop Dell 11 3000
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 250 SSD.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    I think this is going to be my last post here seeing it been about 3 weeks + since my last lockup. Everything is really running great now.
    Running great.jpg
    Thanks for your help Irv, especially for drawing my attention to (sudo shutdown -r now)thats been a great help. Something seems to have happened here as well since I too am getting fewer lockups of late.
    I'm now concentrating on getting a respectable conky installed, maybe our paths will cross again.
    Be good!

Beans

There may be hardware failure. I also had unusual behavior like yours and finally found my RAM was faulty. After replacing the same I found the problem was solved

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112