Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast
Results 91 to 100 of 117

Thread: A almost hard lock in Ubuntu 12.04.

  1. #91
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wabasha MN
    Beans
    2,341
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: A almost hard lock in Ubuntu 12.04.

    Quote Originally Posted by krishna.988 View Post
    Strange!! Not able to zero down the issue..is it flash or browser or something else..lets' wait for some time..

    Is there any way you could remove the thread from being marked as Solved..As it will grab more attention!!
    I believe only a Mod can do that. I don't see a way I can remove it.
    EDIT: I was wrong, I removed the solved from this thread.

    Another quick update: Even after running some videos yesterday in Opera I have not had a lockup. I have been running 19 + hours now.
    top.png
    But I have to do a restart because I did some up dates this morning.
    Restart.png
    That means I will have to shutdown Opera and start all over again.
    Last edited by irv; September 21st, 2012 at 11:03 PM.
    My hometown on the Mississippi River.
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 750gig Hybrid.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

  2. #92
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: A almost hard lock in Ubuntu 12.04.

    Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    I believe only a Mod can do that. I don't see a way I can remove it.

    Another quick update: Even after running some videos yesterday in Opera I have not had a lockup. I have been running 19 + hours now.
    top.png
    But I have to do a restart because I did some up dates this morning.
    Restart.png
    That means I will have to shutdown Opera and start all over again.
    You said this happens only with chrome right or firefox also??

  3. #93
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wabasha MN
    Beans
    2,341
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: A almost hard lock in Ubuntu 12.04.

    Quote Originally Posted by krishna.988 View Post
    You said this happens only with chrome right or firefox also??
    Yes, so far with Chrome, Chromium, and FF. I have not got it to lockup with Opera as of yet, but sometimes it takes a couple of days for me to get it to lock and other times it's only a few minutes. But I do have it pin pointed to when or after I run videos in a browser and only if I don't shut down the browser. It has been awhile since it locked up, but I haven't been running any of the browser I mentioned.
    My hometown on the Mississippi River.
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 750gig Hybrid.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

  4. #94
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Melbourne, Australia.
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: A almost hard lock in Ubuntu 12.04.

    say - I like the look of your hometown irv -
    PopularPages: A very handy Documentation Search Tool used by many.

    PopularPages Wiki Thread

  5. #95
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wabasha MN
    Beans
    2,341
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: A almost hard lock in Ubuntu 12.04.

    Quote Originally Posted by BlinkinCat View Post
    say - I like the look of your hometown irv -
    When you look at photo 3 on the main page, right next to the eagle center you can see some new condos they just built, my house is right on the other side of them. And Photo 5 looking at the bridge you can't see my house but it is right by the bridge.

    EDIT: I never notice but my house is in the banner.
    Banner.png
    Last edited by irv; September 21st, 2012 at 04:35 PM.
    My hometown on the Mississippi River.
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 750gig Hybrid.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

  6. #96
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

    Re: A almost hard lock in Ubuntu 12.04.

    Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    Yes, so far with Chrome, Chromium, and FF. I have not got it to lockup with Opera as of yet, but sometimes it takes a couple of days for me to get it to lock and other times it's only a few minutes. But I do have it pin pointed to when or after I run videos in a browser and only if I don't shut down the browser. It has been awhile since it locked up, but I haven't been running any of the browser I mentioned.
    I think your system is getting heated up since you are keeping it on for long time..may be the fan has some issue..pls check once..nothing to do with software I guess..

  7. #97
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wabasha MN
    Beans
    2,341
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: A almost hard lock in Ubuntu 12.04.

    Quote Originally Posted by krishna.988 View Post
    I think your system is getting heated up since you are keeping it on for long time..may be the fan has some issue..pls check once..nothing to do with software I guess..
    I checked that and it is not the fan or the temp.
    This is my normal reading.
    Adapter: Virtual device
    temp1: +50.5°C (crit = +95.0°C)

    k8temp-pci-00c3
    Adapter: PCI adapter
    Core0 Temp: +47.0°C
    Core0 Temp: +49.0°C
    Core1 Temp: +50.0°C
    Core1 Temp: +42.0°C
    Even when I play a video the temp does not get so high that it will lockup. One time on a desktop I had the fan came loose from the CPU it over heated and shutdown. But this is not the case here.
    Thanks for the thought on this. This could have been the case if I didn't check it.
    My hometown on the Mississippi River.
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 750gig Hybrid.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

  8. #98
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    London
    Beans
    124
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: A almost hard lock in Ubuntu 12.04.

    I am getting the same problem with my set-up Irv It's been happening for several months now. I have got the most recent Firefox, AMD Phenom 11 X2 545 processor, Sapphire Radeon HD 6800 graphics card, just the same as you my machine will freeze then hang I am able to move mouse cursor but it will not respond to a clicky of any kind. It also goes black screen for a while, then reloads the page but whenever it does restore there is still no clicky action, it might do this several times.

    All I seem to be able to do is hold down my stop button to kill the processes and then reboot. Usually the system comes back on in a working condition, then it might be workable for anything from 10 minutes (say) up to a few days.

    Its odd and very annoying, more often it will happen whilst I'm simply browsing, I don't think it's any specifically video oriented.
    I am using the proprietary open source driver since I've had all kinds of problems with the amdcccle drivers which do not seem to interpret the splash screen fonts well.
    I have a feeling it is possibly a 12.04 bug

  9. #99
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    Wabasha MN
    Beans
    2,341
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: A almost hard lock in Ubuntu 12.04.

    Quote Originally Posted by ortermagic View Post
    I am getting the same problem with my set-up Irv It's been happening for several months now. I have got the most recent Firefox, AMD Phenom 11 X2 545 processor, Sapphire Radeon HD 6800 graphics card, just the same as you my machine will freeze then hang I am able to move mouse cursor but it will not respond to a clicky of any kind. It also goes black screen for a while, then reloads the page but whenever it does restore there is still no clicky action, it might do this several times.

    All I seem to be able to do is hold down my stop button to kill the processes and then reboot. Usually the system comes back on in a working condition, then it might be workable for anything from 10 minutes (say) up to a few days.

    Its odd and very annoying, more often it will happen whilst I'm simply browsing, I don't think it's any specifically video oriented.
    I am using the proprietary open source driver since I've had all kinds of problems with the amdcccle drivers which do not seem to interpret the splash screen fonts well.
    I have a feeling it is possibly a 12.04 bug
    When you lockup can you press [Ctrl][Alt][F2]? I can and it will take you to a prompt where you can login and then type
    Code:
    sudo shutdown -r now
    the computer shutdown proper and come back up without just hitting the power button. This way you will not corrupt something.
    Just for the record it's been two full days since my last lockup.
    My hometown on the Mississippi River.
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 750gig Hybrid.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

  10. #100
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    London
    Beans
    124
    Distro
    Ubuntu

    Re: A almost hard lock in Ubuntu 12.04.

    <code>When you lockup can you press [Ctrl][Alt][F2]? I can and it will take you to a prompt where you can login and then type</code>

    Thank you for that tip Irv. Next time a lockdown/up happens happens I will try it. Do I have to enter the command using sudo as if I were doing it in a terminal?
    I must admit I struggle with commands due to the fact that my 68 year old memory tends to drop out a bit these days. I will let you know how I get on with that as and when it occurs.
    So far (after innumerable force quits) I have not noticed any damage, may be I've been lucky, I had two instances today, but at the moment all's well.

    Sorry about the follow up post below
    Last edited by ortermagic; September 22nd, 2012 at 12:21 AM. Reason: problem with quote layout

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •