Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: A almost hard lock in Ubuntu 12.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

Re: A almost hard lock in Ubuntu 12.04.

Yes Matt 16:27 sometime it is slow going when you are trying to isolate a problem. (By the way, like your handle. I think it had something to do with being short, or am I reading something into it).
    I have loaded other software, but have stay away from Chrome for now. I haven't even installed it yet. To be honest with you I really like it better then Firefox, but if it locks up what good is it. Hopefully when I start to trouble shot it, maybe I will find the problem with an addon. Time will tell.
    My hometown on the Mississippi River.
    Using a Asus 3632QM laptop with 8gig RAM, 750gig Hybrid.
    Machine Registered 366271, 366273, 366275.
    Registered Ubuntu user number 18630. Registered Linux user number 458093.

Beans
    Distro

Alright, been running 3 days 6 hours without a lockup. Time to install Chrome browser and remove addons and see what happens.
    top.png

Beans

I'm experiencing something somewhat similar -- unity "freezes" so that the mouse moves, but one can't select anything. Going into the tty1 terminal (ctl-alt-F1), and logging in, I find that compiz is running flat out ( I use "top"). Using the proc id displayed in top, I can then use a "sudo kill -9 <procid>", which removes the compiz program. (At this point I'm not in X, so it isn't reloaded automatically.)

Then issue "sudo service lightdm restart" to restart X (and compiz).

That gets me around the "freeze". It is happening to me every time I invoke the "/usr/bin/vi" editor; for a while I kept trying to "vi compiz-bug" and it would freeze ... as though some intelligence was trying to prevent me from documenting what I was seeing I can't imagine yet what the problem is, but the fact that your trouble is with chrome is certainly interesting to me.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Rader View Post
    I'm experiencing something somewhat similar -- unity "freezes" so that the mouse moves, but one can't select anything. Going into the tty1 terminal (ctl-alt-F1), and logging in, I find that compiz is running flat out ( I use "top"). Using the proc id displayed in top, I can then use a "sudo kill -9 <procid>", which removes the compiz program. (At this point I'm not in X, so it isn't reloaded automatically.)

Then issue "sudo service lightdm restart" to restart X (and compiz).

That gets me around the "freeze". It is happening to me every time I invoke the "/usr/bin/vi" editor; for a while I kept trying to "vi compiz-bug" and it would freeze ... as though some intelligence was trying to prevent me from documenting what I was seeing I can't imagine yet what the problem is, but the fact that your trouble is with chrome is certainly interesting to me.
    If you read earlier post of mine I thought compiz was my problem also, but it really turned out to be chrome. Now I reinstalled Chrome and removed all my extensions except for these three:
    3-Extensions.png
    and it seems to be running OK. No lockups yet. Again, time will tell.
    Hope you get to the bottom of your lockups. Are you using Chrome?

Beans
    Distro

Ran for almost 2 days and then started to lockup again, but only when using Chrome. I am just going to have to stay away from Chrome Browser. I am using Chrome browser with Ubuntu 10.04 on an older desktop and it works OK, It must be either 12.04 or something to do with my hardware and or in combination with 12.04. At least I know what is locking it up (that is Chrome browser).

Also want to mention that it is when I am running videos in the browser is when it locks up. I know that Chrome has it's own version of Flash built in, and that could be where the problem might be.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by irv View Post
    Ran for almost 2 days and then started to lockup again, but only when using Chrome. I am just going to have to stay away from Chrome Browser. I am using Chrome browser with Ubuntu 10.04 on an older desktop and it works OK, It must be either 12.04 or something to do with my hardware and or in combination with 12.04. At least I know what is locking it up (that is Chrome browser).

Also want to mention that it is when I am running videos in the browser is when it locks up. I know that Chrome has it's own version of Flash built in, and that could be where the problem might be.

Don't waste your time over this..as I experienced similar lockups with Ubuntu sometime earlier with the same Dell Inspiron 1521 laptop. And when I installed Windows 7 it worked smoothly.. And finally I got to know it was because of driver issue.. opensource drvers are buggy at times..

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by krishna.988 View Post
    Don't waste your time over this..as I experienced similar lockups with Ubuntu sometime earlier with the same Dell Inspiron 1521 laptop. And when I installed Windows 7 it worked smoothly.. And finally I got to know it was because of driver issue.. opensource drvers are buggy at times..
    In my case if it is drivers, then why does everything work great except Chrome Browser? I have been using Ubuntu on this Laptop since I purchase it back in 2008 and this is the first time I have had a lockup problem like this. And I have been running Ubuntu on it since then. I started with 8.04 back then.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

In my case if it is drivers, then why does everything work great except Chrome Browser? I have been using Ubuntu on this Laptop since I purchase it back in 2008 and this is the first time I have had a lockup problem like this. And I have been running Ubuntu on it since then. I started with 8.04 back then.
    Agreed re your driver response, since I had similar issues with completely different hardware. I've elected to forego Chromium (in my case) and to date have not experienced any mouse or system lockups. Still slowly adding my old apps back and, as noted, no issues to report.
    Gigabyte GA-M57SLI-S4; AMD X2 5600+; 4GB Mushkin Enhanced DDR2 800; Seagate 250GB 7200.10 (SATA);
    ASUS DVD-E616A3T (SATA); Samsung SH-S182M (PATA); EVGA GT 220 (all work ootb)

Beans

If you read earlier post of mine I thought compiz was my problem also, but it really turned out to be chrome. Now I reinstalled Chrome and removed all my extensions except for these three:
    3-Extensions.png
    and it seems to be running OK. No lockups yet. Again, time will tell.
    Hope you get to the bottom of your lockups. Are you using Chrome?
    I do not have Chrome installed. FWIW my lockups always happen when I invoke vi ...
    very reproducible.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Rader View Post
    I do not have Chrome installed. FWIW my lockups always happen when I invoke vi ...
    very reproducible.
    It sounds like your problem is different then mine. Your's has something to do with the app vi. Is vi a text editor? I use gedit for my editing. As I remember vi is a command type editor.

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast