Thread: Black Borders Around GRUB and Splash

Beans

Black Borders Around GRUB and Splash

Here's an interesting one: I recently bought a new monitor capable of a 1920 x 1080 resolution. No problems there. Ubuntu detects it and my video card (nVidia GT640) perfectly. I can load up the proprietary drivers fine. In fact, all is running well. Until I try to replace the vga cable with a DVI-D cable.

What I'm now getting is both a grub screen and a boot-splash with a thick black border around it. (Maybe an inch at the bottom/top and two inches at the sides.)

From studying it, it's not that the resolution is incorrect -- it actually looks as though the screen has been shrunk. So I'm getting a 1920 x 1080 resolution picture, only it's been shrunk by a few inches. As a result, the GRUB text is slightly smaller than you'd expect, and the UBUNTU text on the splash logo is slightly smaller than when using VGA.

It's not a massive problem. I dare say I could either just grin and bear it (since my desktop resolution is perfectly fine), or remove the splash altogether and resize the GRUB text to a lower resolution (thus making it easier to read.) But I would like to fix it if I can. Any ideas?
    ASUS M2N68+, AMD Phenom 2.3 GHz x4 64, Asus GeForce GT640 nVidia, Corsair 4GB DDR2 PC-5300 dual channel, Lite-On SATA DVD+RW, 500 GB SATA (7200), 2TB SATA (5400), AOC e2343F, Azalia HD Onboard Audio.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Re: Black Borders Around GRUB and Splash

Usage
    Try the search usage.
    Resolution can be changed.
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1664134

https://launchpad.net/~danielrichter2007/+archive/grub-customizer?field.series_filter=precise

grub-customizer

Code:
    sudo apt-add-repository ppa:danielrichter2007/grub-customizer
    sudo apt-get update
    sudo apt-get install grub-customizer

Beans

Thanks for the link, but I think you're misunderstanding the nature of my problem. It's not that the resolution of the splash image/GRUB is wrong and needs changing – even in grub-customizer it shows up as 1920 x 1080 – it's that the correctly sized image is being squashed by the presence of the black border. It's not that the 1920 x 1080 sized background has been replaced by a, say, 1280 x 1024 background or anything like that. The picture resolution is fine. The black border is the problem. Even if I load a lesser resolution background, the black border remains.
    ASUS M2N68+, AMD Phenom 2.3 GHz x4 64, Asus GeForce GT640 nVidia, Corsair 4GB DDR2 PC-5300 dual channel, Lite-On SATA DVD+RW, 500 GB SATA (7200), 2TB SATA (5400), AOC e2343F, Azalia HD Onboard Audio.

Beans

Hi,

This is just an idea but maybe I am wrong. Can you update grub while you have your DVI-D cable plugged? Perhaps it matters how the signal were decoded for VGA and DVI by grub !?
    ! Nobody Expects the Spanish Inquisition !

Beans

I've already updated my GRUB numerous times whist trying out different fixes. The black border persists.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

User Monitor
    Menu setting
    Please use the ...
    There are auto button.
    Look at the monitor.

but
    If you do not have one... auto button.
    Menu is hidden in the ...

Monitor Menu button
    Check the manual.
    Last edited by oklokl; June 23rd, 2012 at 05:41 PM.