Here's an interesting one: I recently bought a new monitor capable of a 1920 x 1080 resolution. No problems there. Ubuntu detects it and my video card (nVidia GT640) perfectly. I can load up the proprietary drivers fine. In fact, all is running well. Until I try to replace the vga cable with a DVI-D cable.

What I'm now getting is both a grub screen and a boot-splash with a thick black border around it. (Maybe an inch at the bottom/top and two inches at the sides.)

From studying it, it's not that the resolution is incorrect -- it actually looks as though the screen has been shrunk. So I'm getting a 1920 x 1080 resolution picture, only it's been shrunk by a few inches. As a result, the GRUB text is slightly smaller than you'd expect, and the UBUNTU text on the splash logo is slightly smaller than when using VGA.

It's not a massive problem. I dare say I could either just grin and bear it (since my desktop resolution is perfectly fine), or remove the splash altogether and resize the GRUB text to a lower resolution (thus making it easier to read.) But I would like to fix it if I can. Any ideas?