Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Canon MG2450 network printer

Beans

Unhappy Canon MG2450 network printer

I installed LUBUNTU 14.10 64 bit on my laptop and 32 bit on another. My family printer is USB Canon MG2450. It is connected to my router via Networking Server box that communicates betweem Ethernet to USB. In Win7 environment all computer connected to my network and have Networking software installed, may take control over this printer/scanner (one each time). It works flawless.
    In Lubuntu - it doesn't at all. I have installed drivers provided with packages, then drivers dowlowded from Canon's Asia site (.deb), but the best I can get is the first "movement" of the printer when a job is sent to it. It starts forwarding a page, then stops, and after maybe half an hour, the page get out with a partial frame printed on it, but never with the content it should have on it. I'm quite desperate since I have tried almost all suggestions found on the Net for this problem: different ways of installation (command line, authomatic), different drivers, including 32 or 64 bit, different versions of it, whatever.. THe best I got is what is described above.

Can anyone say if this is a bug, or I make something wrong from the beginning? I start looking for other Linux distributions, or just to give the Linux up and to uninstall: I can't go to Windowseach time I need to print a page...
    Thanks !

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu

Re: Canon MG2450 printer won't print <<HELP!>>

Since no one else has answered this yet, I will offer my still-a-newbie advice. First, I would back up any data you want to save, including the downloaded drivers you have. Second, since 14.10 is still new and others have reported various bugs, I would install Lubuntu 14.04 LTS, then upgrade it to 14.04.1 and see if you can get that to work. If someone gives you better advice, go with that instead.

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 14.10 Utopic Unicorn

Re: Canon MG2450 network printer

I would stay with 14.10.
    First, are you able to print if you connect directly (not through network)?
    About problems due to upgrading
    Bringing old hardware back to life.
    Please visit Quick Links -> Unanswered Posts

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

Re: Canon MG2450 printer won't print <<HELP!>>

Reinstallation is not a solution, but a desperate act of last resort. This should never be a first recommendation, so please be careful of that.

This post is only ten hours old. It is far to early to assume it will not be answered. Also, a non-solution answer has removed it from the population of threads found by the "unanswered posts" query that many here use to find threads such as this to help with.

Beans

so if we check some things on the Lubuntu install please

can you in turn copy the commands; so for each command, open a terminal; and paste the command into a terminal; and then copy the result; and paste it back here please

Code:
    dpkg -l | grep cnijfilter
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/lpinfo -v

and then if click on this link http://localhost:631/printers/ and look in the right-hand column; that should be headed Make and Model and tell us what it says for your Canon printer please
    Last edited by pdc; December 7th, 2014 at 09:10 AM.

Beans

Not yet tried... I will and report.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by pdc View Post
    so if we check some things on the Lubuntu install please

can you in turn copy the commands; so for each command, open a terminal; and paste the command into a terminal; and then copy the result; and paste it back here please

Code:
    dpkg -l | grep cnijfilter
    Code:
    /usr/sbin/lpinfo -v

and then if click on this link http://localhost:631/printers/ and look in the right-hand column; that should be headed Make and Model and tell us what it says for your Canon printer please
    OK I get this in terminal:
    j@j-ASUS:~$ dpkg -l | grep cnjfilter
    j@j-ASUS:~$ /usr/sbin/lpinfo -v
    network socket
    network ipp14
    network ipp
    network lpd
    network http
    network ipps
    network https
    network dnssd://Canon%20MG2400%20series-803f39._printer._tcp.local/

and in the http://localhost:631/printers/ I've got:
    ▼ Queue Name ▼ Description Location Make and Model Status
    Canon-MG2400-series Canon MG2400 series Canon MG2400 series - CUPS+Gutenprint v5.2.10 Idle

That's I saw before, but the printer is just frozen... When I print a test page it shows Printer Connected for 2-3 minutes, then it is Spooling Job with 0% of done forever...
    Last edited by a4r; December 7th, 2014 at 10:16 PM. Reason: adding info

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mörgæs View Post
    I would stay with 14.10.
    First, are you able to print if you connect directly (not through network)?
    I did. Connected directly via USB it prints just OK without any problem.

Beans

I would go back to a Windows machine that can print to it over the network, right-click on the printer, do "Printer Properties," and click on the "Ports" tab. See how the port is defined in Windows. Then try to replicate that in Ubuntu.

I had a USB printer attached to my router, and I could print to it over the network using this Device URI in Ubuntu:

Code:
    socket://192.168.1.1:9100
    where 192.168.1.1 is the address of my router. Of course, your router may have a different scheme of sharing the printer than mine does. But Ubuntu could not automatically detect the printer otherwise.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by weatherman2 View Post
    I would go back to a Windows machine that can print to it over the network, right-click on the printer, do "Printer Properties," and click on the "Ports" tab. See how the port is defined in Windows. Then try to replicate that in Ubuntu.

I had a USB printer attached to my router, and I could print to it over the network using this Device URI in Ubuntu:

Code:
    socket://192.168.1.1:9100
    where 192.168.1.1 is the address of my router. Of course, your router may have a different scheme of sharing the printer than mine does. But Ubuntu could not automatically detect the printer otherwise.
    How do I replicate it in Ubuntu? Where should I put it in? Please give me some details, I am not familiar with Ubuntu or Linux.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast