Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Switching From Ubuntu To Lubuntu & Others

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Lubuntu Development Release

Re: Switching From Ubuntu To Lubuntu & Others

Quote Originally Posted by vasa1 View Post
    I don't know about Lubuntu but when I installed Xfce 4.10 (launchpad.net/~xubuntu-dev/+archive/*xfce-4.10) on top of Ubuntu 12.04, there wasn't much of a problem.
    Lubuntu
    LXDE

Maybe Xfce is different, but LXDE really does look bad.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

So I installed LXDE from Ubuntu Software Center, logged into it, and my first impression of it was yuck!! It reminds me so much of Windows, which is what I don't want! However, I noticed a major difference in speed. Everything is faster when compared to when I was using GNOME Classic (No effects). I also noticed that there's no Global Menu in the LXPanel. Is it possible to get it? I really miss it. Also, I began to customize the panels and I accidentally removed the "Shut Down" icon, or "Power" icon, whatever it is called, anyone know how to get it back or even restore the default LXPanel and start from fresh again?

So far, I'm liking LXDE with Ubuntu. Maybe with a little tweaking, I can make it look how I want to.
    Question Everything

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

You can try xfce also by installing xfce4. That has plenty of flexibility and is also fast.

Beans

IMHO installing DE's such as 'lxde', 'xfce4', 'gnome', etc is NOT a good idea. These are generally the versions of those DE's available in either Debian stable or testing, although it can vary - particularly due to gtk3 compatibility issues. Remember we are based on Debian and many of the devs work both for Ubuntu and Debian, etc

I think it would be much wiser to follow the paths in the Playing Around section here:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/

Not sure how exactly you'd clean up after installing 'lxde' as you did, I'd need to see the applicable apt log to figure that out.

You should also know that Lubuntu 12.04 is not LTS, it's only supported for 18 months. Xubuntu 12.04 is a 3 year LTS, but Ubuntu 12.04 itself is a 5 year LTS.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    You can try xfce also by installing xfce4. That has plenty of flexibility and is also fast.
    Might get rid of LXDE and try XFCE. LXDE is weird I liked that I was able to make the panels transparent in LXDE, but I couldn't do that in GNOME Classic (No effects). Also, it really sucks that there's no "Return To Default" option for going back to the default panel settings in case you messed up the panel, in my case, removed the "Power" icon. It does feel like the developers just dropped LXDE and did something else. That "Other" menu was huge!!
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by kansasnoob View Post
    Not sure how exactly you'd clean up after installing 'lxde' as you did, I'd need to see the applicable apt log to figure that out.
    So cleaning up this LXDE would take some effort now? Oh gosh, I wish I knew that before I installed it.
    Question Everything

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Ball View Post
    Transparent panes in xfce.
    What about Global Menu? I noticed LXDE didn't have that.
    Last edited by Shadius; June 24th, 2012 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Spell check
    Question Everything

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

You can add wrapper for global menu in XFCE, but in Precise, you'll need edit some of it source code (from libindicator6 to libindicator7) and compile it yourself.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by afixane View Post
    You can add wrapper for global menu in XFCE, but in Precise, you'll need edit some of it source code (from libindicator6 to libindicator7) and compile it yourself.
    Hmm....compiling is a whole new thing to me.
    Question Everything

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast