Two Linux Installs
I currently have Ubuntu installed in a LVM setup, with /boot on a seperate partition.
I want to add gentoo into the mix (I have space in the LVM), but I want to keep the grub in Ubuntu.
I made this up theoretically, but would it work?
1. Install Gentoo in the LVM, without grub
2. Setup the Ubuntu Chroot in Gentoo by binding the /dev /proc /sys dirs and mounting the Ubuntu root.
3. Mount the boot partition to the Ubuntu Chroot
4. Symlink Ubuntu's /boot to gentoo's /boot so that the kernels that gentoo installs will land in the right place.
5. Setup a update-grub script on gentoo to run update-grub in the chroot.
Perhaps something like
Thanks for looking!
chroot /mnt/ubuntu /usr/sbin/update-grub
Last edited by sandyd; June 23rd, 2012 at 01:32 AM.
Ubuntu Forums Moderation Staff
Don't waste your energy trying to change opinions ... Do your thing, and don't care if they like it.