Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Qualcomm Atheros Bigfoot Killer E2200 Ethernet working in linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Qualcomm Atheros Bigfoot Killer E2200 Ethernet working in linux

Jun 26 16:31:09 sibelius AptDaemon.Worker: INFO: Finished transaction /org/debian/apt/transaction/0b6a845712d54ef2854d86ddae157393
    Jun 26 16:37:08 sibelius AptDaemon: INFO: Quitting due to inactivity
    Jun 26 16:37:08 sibelius AptDaemon: INFO: Quitting was requested
    Jun 26 16:52:29 sibelius kernel: imklog 5.8.6, log source = /proc/kmsg started.
    There is a well-known bug in aptd in 12.04. I wonder if it has anything to do with anything. You might change Update Manager to NEVER check for updates for a while and see if it helps. You can always do updates the old-fashioned way:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get -y upgrade
    I am a bit suspicious of my own advice because I have no lock-ups.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Prior to applying Mahler's patch I too was suffering freezes running the latest 3.2 Kernel. I never actually found out what exactly was causing the freezes as I was never able to find any information in the logs, however I'm pretty sure it was kernel related; possibly a driver.

The reason why I'm pretty certain of this is the freezes were completely gone once I built the latest kernel from git. I'm currently running kernel 3.5.0-rc4, with the ethernet nic enabled and handling pretty intense torrent traffic - several dozens of GB up/down stream every day - and I'm yet to encounter _any_ issues at all. It runs beautifully.

I would say, then, that if you have a Killer E2200 (released a few months ago, if I'm not mistaken) then chances are your hardware is probably new too. As I say, in my case upgrading to the latest kernel solved all stability issues (my setup includes i7-3720QM Ivy Bridge, HM77 chipset, Nvidia 670M GPU.) Then again, the longer I've ran my laptop was for just slightly over 22h, whereas you seem to use your machine as a server.

Hope this helps though.

Beans

I'm glad to hear that you're not having any problems. I'll try the 3.5-rc4 kernel now.

My setup is

MSI GT70
    gtx 675m
    i7-3610QM

I use it more as a workstation during the day, but I don't really run it over night. The internet connection is too poor where I live for it to be useful the moment.

Now all we have to wait for is the kernel and NVIDIA people to figure out what they're doing for optimus support.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Mahler122 View Post
    Now all we have to wait for is the kernel and NVIDIA people to figure out what they're doing for optimus support.
    I believe I've just now found a way to:

• install the latest official (and obviously proprietary) NVidia driver that fully supports my GPU (670M)
    • enable full 3d hardware acceleration
    • enable Optimus optmizations

HOW

Support for NVidia Optimus is provided by the open-source project Bumblebee, which can be found here [1]. Install instructions for Ubuntu at the bottom of the page here [2].

Latest proprietary NVidia drivers can be installed by first adding the x-swat repository [3].

STEPS (using sudo or as root)

Code:
    # apt-get purge nvidia-current
    # add-apt-repository ppa:bumblebee/stable
    # add-apt-repository ppa:ubuntu-x-swat/x-updates
    # apt-get update
    # apt-get install bumblebee bumblebee-nvidia
    Everything seems stable so far and I now have full 3d acceleration! Still early to say anything about battery consumption as I haven't run the laptop for long yet; also optirun isn't running for some reason.

-----
    [1] http://bumblebee-project.org/
    [2] http://bumblebee-project.org/install.html
    [3] https://launchpad.net/~ubuntu-x-swat/+archive/x-updates
    Last edited by belnac; June 28th, 2012 at 03:33 PM. Reason: Added missing installation step

Beans
    Distro

I wonder if the Nvidia and Optimus part wouldn't be better on General Help. http://ubuntuforums.org/forumdisplay.php?f=331
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, B.Sc., M.Sc., M.A., Ph.D., Sc.D.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by belnac View Post
    I too was suffering freezes running the latest 3.2 Kernel. I never actually found out what exactly was causing the freezes as I was never able to find any information in the logs, however I'm pretty sure it was kernel related; possibly a driver.
    So, It's been 5 days since I switched to 3.5.0-rc{4,5}, and I've had no issues. Looks like belnac was right! And the fake NIC driver is working great!

As far as the Optimus stuff is concerned, I suspect that our situation is a bit more complicated, and I'm starting a thread here to gather information and figure out what needs to be done to get our discrete chips working.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Qualcomm Atheros Bigfoot Killer E2200 Ethernet working in linux

Its alive! I'm another one who's got an MSI GT70. I was stuck in the evil parallel universe for a few months waiting for NVidia to come out with a linux driver until Windows - being the virus bait that it is caught something then imploded on itself.

Anywho, your patch worked flawlessly on my "Killer" card - and now I'm off to figure out this whole Bumblebee thing to get my graphics working.

Thank you and good job!

**Bows to your awesomeness**

- Orion

Beans

I have a MSI GE60 and the guide works very well.
    However, we should install only alx module, not all compat modules. We can do that by executing "driver-select alx" (the script in scripts folder) after the patching job.
    Thanks,
    Last edited by leenmie; September 4th, 2012 at 10:59 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Exclamation First sign of trouble

Letting everybody know that I just tried to connect the NIC to a gigabit switch but it refuses to negotiate a 1000Mb link.

I'm pretty sure it's a driver issue as I tried forcing it with the following command,

Code:
    # ethtool -s eth0 speed 1000 duplex full autoneg off
    but I lose the link each time, and then have to manually unload and reload the alx driver.

This is the only issue I've had since using the fake driver BTW.

--

Also, the following is found is the syslog after issuing the ethtool command:

Code:
    [ 2205.379034] alx 0000:02:00.0: error when reset phy
    [ 2205.379034] eth0: speed = 0x20, autoneg = 1

Beans
    Distro

I'm pretty sure it's a driver issue as I tried forcing it
    Perhaps you'll have better luck with the later alx driver outlined at post #4 here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...&highlight=alx

Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast