Thread: Aptitude: Inject 'provided' packages

Beans
    Hidden!

Question Aptitude: Inject 'provided' packages

Look here at section 5c.

What it basically would mean in Ubuntu:

- You tell Aptitude/dpkg/apt that network-manager is installed since you installed it yourself from source.

Aptitude will then:
    - Not install the package itself, yet 'take it into account'
    - Allow packages that depend on network-manager to be installed as if nothing 'else' happened.

Is this possible with aptitude/dpkg/apt?

I looked at apt-mark and 'dpkg --update-avail', but it doesn't seem to provide the functionality I seek.

TIA
    Last edited by Rexilion; June 21st, 2012 at 08:46 PM. Reason: Grammar

Beans
    Hidden!

Thumbs down Re: Aptitude: Inject 'provided' packages

I figured it out, it was quite easy actually.

Simply:

1. Create an empty directory/DEBIAN
    Code:
    mkdir -p custom_package/DEBIAN
    2. Create a control file with (for example) the following contents...
    Code:
    gnome-text-editor custom_package/DEBIAN/control
    Code:
    Package: custom_package
    Version: 1
    Architecture: all
    Maintainer: Rexilion <1@2.3>
    Provides: phonon-backend-gstreamer
    Description: Modified package to make package management easier when combined with source packages or modifications that are in violation with the dependencie's inside the package system.
     phonon-backend-gstreamer: This is a hard dependency of the minitube Youtube player. Purging this package makes the player force to use another backend (phonon-backend-vlc) if it's installed of course. Using this package will stop aptitude from complaining of missing dependencies.
    In the above fields, everything is mandatory except for the 'Provides' field. I used 'Provides' to fullfil the (in my opinion), incorrect hard dep on phonon-backend-gstreamer. This is the sole purpose of this package as of right now.

Furthermore, in the 'Description' field, lines starting with a space are seen as new paragraphs. And lines containing a space and a dot are interperted as empty lines.

3. Create your custom package
    Code:
    dpkg-deb --build custom_package
    4. Install it
    Code:
    sudo bash dpkg -i custom_package.pkg
    That's it! I was able to purge the real phonon-backend-gstreamer, install this package and do a full system upgrade without the system complaining about this missing dependencie!

You can find the official guide with more information about the dpkg syntax here!
    Last edited by Rexilion; June 25th, 2012 at 09:31 AM. Reason: Grammar (grr)