Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Install: Grub "you need to load the kernel first"

Beans

New Install: Grub "you need to load the kernel first"

I classified this post as 'all variants' because I don't believe it is specifically related to the Xubuntu flavor.

I recently installed Xubuntu 12.04 on my machine. I wanted to preserve the Win Vista and Kubuntu 10.04 installs that already existed on the machine and add a Win7 install.

Here are the steps I took:
    1) remove original hard drive from SATA slot0
    2) install new hard drive on SATA slot0
    3) install win7 on first partition of new HD
    4) install the old HD in SATA slot2 (SATA slot1 has DVD)
    5) install Xubuntu 12.04 on second partition of new HD

During Xubuntu install, all of the OS's were detected (Xubuntu 12.04 + Win7 on SATA slot0, and Kubuntu 10.04 + Vista on SATA slot2).

When I boot, there are grub menu entries for all four OS's, but only Win7 and Xubuntu (both on the new HD in SATA slot0) are bootable.

If I select either OS (Vista or Kubuntu 10.04) on the original HD (now in SATA slot2) I get the message "you need to load the kernel first" and I eventually get returned to the grub menu.

Any thoughts on how to boot the OS's on the original HD would be greatly appreciated. I've seen the utility Boot-Repair, but it isn't clear to me that it will fix the problem. I'd like to understand what is happening and why.

Thanks,

Dave L.

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: New Install: Grub "you need to load the kernel first"

your issue is due to the devices switches: every time you unplug/plug a device it has a new uuid, but then the grub still have the old uuid.

so you need to know on which partition is installed your OS
    (boot on a livecd and run gparted and note the partitions (/dev/sda .... /dev/sdb ...)

then open a terminal to install grub on the ubuntu hdd:

sudo grub-install /dev/sdx
    (replace sdx by the good one

sudo update-grub

exit and boot from hdd

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The UUID shouldn't change - that is why UUIDs are used in Grub rather than device names such as sda, sdb, etc.

Your best option is to boot the LiveCD, install and run Boot Repair. Click the 'Recommended Repair' button and it should fix your boot issue.

There is a link to Boot Repair in my signature line.
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans

Thanks for the reply dino99.

I suspected UUID may have changed when I moved the drive. However, when I installed Xubuntu 12.04 on the new drive (sda) and grub was installed, the old drive (now sdb) had already been moved, so the UUID should not have changed since Xubuntu 12.04 was installed.

So are you saying that the bootloader on sda will not boot the OS's on sdb and there needs also to be a bootloader on sdb? When I boot the computer, I'm guesing the bootloader on sda (sata slot0) will load. How do I get to the OS's on the other disk?

Beans

drs305,

Thanks, I've been looking at boot-repair. I just get a little nauseous at the thought of diddling with MBRs and bootloaders (mainly because I'm ignorant of all that stuff).

Any thoughts as to the nature of the problem? I'm trying to educate myself as I go here.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Is your current (working) Ubuntu OS listed as the first menuentry? That would ensure you are using its GRUB files for booting. If the entry isn't the first one it's possible you are using the GRUB files from the other installation.

You can make sure you are using your current GRUB files by running the following. X should be the drive your BIOS is currently booting first (sda, sdb, etc), or if it isn't the Ubuntu drive, change it to the Ubuntu drive and make sure that is the one BIOS boots first. Youi don't have to boot the Ubuntu drive first, but if the other drive contains the Windows bootloader this option will prevent it being overwritten by GRUB. The second command will make sure the Grub menu is updated.
    Code:
    sudo grub-install /dev/sdX
    sudo update-grub
    If that doesn't solve things, run the boot info script (either manually or from Boot Repair) and post the results or a link. (BIS or Boot Repair in my signature line).
    GRUB2

Retired.

Beans

Yes, the new working Xubuntu 12.04 is the first grub menu entry. I believe Win7 (also working) is next.

Vista and Kubuntu on sdb (non-working) are at the bottom of the list.

I'll run the boot info script this evening when I get home.

Thanks for your time.

dino99 is offline Ubuntu addict and loving it
    Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

also check the bios hdd boot order

Beans

Okay, so I ran boot-repair (output link below) doing the recommended repairs and now I get device not found and partition not found when trying to boot both of the non-working OS's. The original working OS's (before repair) still work.

http://paste.ubuntu.com/1053651/
    Last edited by FreeRangeChicken; June 22nd, 2012 at 04:59 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

The Grub menu entries look normal, other than your 10.04 installation still uses Grub legacy.

At the Grub menu, try to manually boot 10.04 and let us know where it fails.

Press 'c' to get to the grub prompt
    Code:
    ls (hd1,5)/  # Does it find 'vmlinuz' and 'initrd.img'
    linux (hd1,5)/vmlinuz root=/dev/sdb5 ro
    initrd (hd1,5)/initrd.img
    boot

If that doesn't work try these for the kernel and image lines:
    Code:
    linux (hd1,5)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.32-41-generic root=/dev/sdb5 ro
    initrd (hd1,5)/boot/initrd.img-2.6.32-41-generic
    Added: These commands really don't do anything differently than the menuentry as far as loading the kernel and initrd image. It does eliminate some of the other commands built into the menuentry. I'm not confident it will work but it's worth trying and perhaps any error messages will shed more light on what's going wrong.

If you can boot into 10.04, I'd recommend purging 'grub' (Grub) and installing 'grub-pc' (Grub 2). The instructions can be found by going to the Grub2 Ubuntu community doc:
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Gr...talling_GRUB_2
    Last edited by drs305; June 22nd, 2012 at 03:02 PM.
    GRUB2

Retired.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast