Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: windows 7 vm running very slowly

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: windows 7 vm running very slowly

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    Go with the Core 2 Duo if you can find one. The Pentium D architecture made them run really hot (something on the order of 130 watts!), so a good cooler would probably be a good idea. That would add to the cost of the upgrade.

Anyway, back to the OP's question -- that would be my suggestion if you can swing it. But don't do it unless your motherboard supports VT-x or you will have wasted your money.
    +1. I'd suggest upgrading to a cheap cpu/mobo/memory combo instead of trying to swap out the CPU. LGA 775 is dead and it is going to be hard to find a reasonably priced dual core CPU.
    Come to #ubuntuforums! We have cookies! | Basic Ubuntu Security Guide

Tomorrow's an illusion and yesterday's a dream, today is a solution...

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Kubuntu

True that.

Still, it really sucks when the best suggestion one can make is for someone else to spend money.
    The Left Coast Geek * The Community ATI Driver Wiki * Find what you need in the Ubuntu Community wikis

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story!
    This universe is crazy. I'm going back to my own.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by QIII View Post
    True that.

Still, it really sucks when the best suggestion one can make is for someone else to spend money.
    Yep.

I've run a Win7 VM with 1GB of memory and it ran fine, but I was running off a dual core with 6GB of ram total.

It's likely the system they are trying to use as a vm host isn't beefy enough to run the VM quickly.

Beans
    Distro

thanks for everyone's input!

i wasn't considering a hardware limitation as being part of the equation here, but yeah i can see how my setup might have a bearing on the vm's performance.. and i believe i have a socket 478 motherboard with a non-HT pentium 4.

is there a 'safe mode' (like Windows) that ubuntu can run in which will still allow me to run the vm? i'm curious to see how the vm will run in that case.

i'm guessing that it won't make any major difference, but i'm still interested in seeing what happens!

thanks!
    If at first you don't succeed; call it version 1.0

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Give the VM a gig a RAM and see what happens. If it doesn't launch properly, you can always reduce it.

Beans
    Distro

I believe the problem is in 12.04. I have Windows 7 64 bit virtual I run in Windows 7, Ubuntu 10.04 and in 12.04. It's twice as slow running it in 12.04 and It has locked up Ubuntu 12.04 where I have issues. Now for the 3rd time. I have tried fixing Ubuntu 2 times this third time I just erased and started over.

I have my computer's drive partition as partition 1 - Windows 7 professional, partition 2 - Ubuntu LTS 10.04, Partition 3 - Ubuntu LTS 12.04 and Partition 4 Extended with a 400 gig Data partition and 6 Gig linux swap.

Now I have just reloaded 12.04 for the fourth time. I have just installed Virtual box 4.1.12 and will upgrade to 4.1.14. And it seems that 4.1.16 seems to be worse. So it could be a Virtualbox problem.

I am this time going to copy my apt directory, since APTonCD will not restore and use the Backup on system setting to see if that will speed up the 2 day reload all my software problem to a half hour maybe, as I continue to figure out what is causing this lock up problem.
    Ok, one of these days I will get it right the first time!
    Good thing there's a backup!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

4.1.18 was just released. I haven't noticed any sluggishness on my VM, but it could be my imagination cuz I access it via remote desktop.

Beans
    Distro

First what is your windows 7 VM. 32 bit or 64 bit? I had a 32 bit running but don't want to activate it, holding it out for another computer, where as my 64 bit is activated. But does not run correctly in Ubuntu 12.04 and it could be a host 32 to a guest 64 bit problem.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by DWade View Post
    First what is your windows 7 VM. 32 bit or 64 bit? I had a 32 bit running but don't want to activate it, holding it out for another computer, where as my 64 bit is activated. But does not run correctly in Ubuntu 12.04 and it could be a host 32 to a guest 64 bit problem.
    Ah that could be.

I'm running 64-bit host with Win7 Pro x64 as the guest.

Beans
    Distro

I might need to go to Virtual Box and post my problems there. I remember a problem testing Windows 8 64 bit in Ubuntu 11.10, now that I think about it.

I just figured it was the Developers Preview problem since Developer Preview is the Pre - Beta Release and Consumer Preview was the Beta Release which I took the 32 bit that time and the new one Release preview is the RC candidate, they are just using different names.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast