Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Stop making games in java!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Stop making games in java!

So I decided to buy minecraft and check it out. It took me the past hour to get it working in Linux but luckily I came across a blog that described how to get it to work perfectly. I played for maybe 20 minutes before my laptop shut off because of overheating. It does only with video transcoding and 3D Java applications except for Second Life. Every Java application I use tends to be nothing more than a memory leak.

I'll probably play MC on my dad's desktop. It's only going to get worse because it's spring, and my room is warming up. I could leave my laptop open, but I don't really have space and then I can't see my monitor.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Stop making games in java!

Turn off view bobbing and change the graphics to fast. It helps a lot. You need at least a decent graphics card to play Minecraft smoothly. If you have an intel card, it doesn't run all the great.

And FYI, the only reason Minecraft is available for Linux is because it's in java. So I think you probably do want it to be written in java.
    Code:
    while true; do echo -n "RiceMonster "; done
    Best thread ever

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RiceMonster View Post
    Turn off view bobbing and change the graphics to fast. It helps a lot. You need at least a decent graphics card to play Minecraft smoothly. If you have an intel card, it doesn't run all the great.

And FYI, the only reason Minecraft is available for Linux is because it's in java. So I think you probably do want it to be written in java.
    Oh I didn't think the view bobbing put strain on anything. I guess it's easier to use Java than port something to OpenGL.

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by Legendary_Bibo View Post
    Oh I didn't think the view bobbing put strain on anything. I guess it's easier to use Java than port something to OpenGL.
    Much easier. Java actually does use OpenGL, but they don't need to make any changes to the code at all, or even recompile it to make it run on other operating systems.

But yeah, I mostly play minecraft on my desktop with an nVidia 9800 GT, which runs fine. My laptop has a crappy intel card and it doesn't run all that well. I found disabling viewbobbing did actually make a pretty big difference in performance.
    Code:
    Best thread ever

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by RiceMonster View Post
    Much easier. Java actually does use OpenGL, but they don't need to make any changes to the code at all, or even recompile it to make it run on other operating systems.

But yeah, I mostly play minecraft on my desktop with an nVidia 9800 GT, which runs fine. My laptop has a crappy intel card and it doesn't run all that well. I found disabling viewbobbing did actually make a pretty big difference in performance.
    I would never have thought the view bobbing would cause such a problem. My other laptop has an intel card, and it runs it smooth for 10 minutes and then everything just slows down horribly. My dad's desktop trumps my laptop, and it can actually stay cool, but my room doesn't even get any air conditioning so the most I can manage is a fan blowing on it.

I need a desktop.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

So does Minecraft use alot of resources then? I was thinking of getting it, but having second thoughts now :/

I'm running a server for it though (under Linux of course), for my friend. If you want to access it it's at http://malachy.org.uk/.
    Server: 2.2GHz Athlon 64; 4GB; 2TB; Debian 5 x64
    LividEmperor: 3.3GHz i5 2500K; 8GB; 660GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x64 + Windows 7 x64
    Netbook1: 1.6GHz Atom; 2GB; 160GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x86
    Dogeatdog: 3GHz Phenom II; 3GB; 1TB; Windows 7 x64

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by fela View Post
    So does Minecraft use alot of resources then? I was thinking of getting it, but having second thoughts now :/

I'm running a server for it though (under Linux of course), for my friend. If you want to access it it's at http://malachy.org.uk/.
    It's CPU intensive, I don't know about RAM usage though. It's still addicting, but play it on a computer that has adequate cooling.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by Legendary_Bibo View Post
    It's CPU intensive, I don't know about RAM usage though. It's still addicting, but play it on a computer that has adequate cooling.
    Any computer should be able to handle 100% load indefinitely without overheating. If it starts to overheat you've got a design fault
    Server: 2.2GHz Athlon 64; 4GB; 2TB; Debian 5 x64
    LividEmperor: 3.3GHz i5 2500K; 8GB; 660GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x64 + Windows 7 x64
    Netbook1: 1.6GHz Atom; 2GB; 160GB; Ubuntu 10.10 x86
    Dogeatdog: 3GHz Phenom II; 3GB; 1TB; Windows 7 x64

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by fela View Post

I run one on CentOS 5.5. It's a private server with 4 of my close friends, though.
    Code:
    Best thread ever

Beans

I have an ATI graphics card. Is this good enough for minecraft? I'm not really familiar with this kind of thing as I've never really been a gamer.

Would you mind posting the link to the guide you used?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast